1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue-ray player?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 8, 2012.

1. If you are watching through component inputs you are probably getting a similar picture from the down-scaling of the blu-ray and the up-scaling of the DVD (Both would be output in 720p, I believe).

With an HDMI, the Blu-ray should look significantly better. Of course that all depends on a bunch of other factors such as how big the screen is and how far back you're sitting. You should sit roughly 8-10 times the screen height for movies and TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm using HDMI.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Shouldn't make a difference if you're using a PS3 to watch Blu-Ray discs.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Then consider me unimpressed with Blu-Ray. Only difference I notice is the price. And by price, I mean the extra charge at RedBox. Does anyone actually BUY movies anymore?

I mean, a movie can only look SO good on a television. And I already have a TV that's supposed to make everything look awesome to begin with.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are certain discs where the difference is completely obvious and others where the difference is pretty minimal.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I will say, I was fairly unimpressed with Blu-ray until the day I rented two movies at Redbox, one on blu-ray and one on DVD. Watched the blu-ray movie second and was blown away that I hadn't noticed sooner how much better they look.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Blu Ray does look better on my TV, but I'm more blown away by the sound of the Blu Ray discs versus the DVDs. Really rich.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Most blu-ray players supposedly upconvert traditional dvds to close to 1080.

There is a huge difference between HD and regular network, but the difference between blu-ray and DVD upconverted? Not that much to me, but I've only got a sound bar and subwoofer for audio.

Draft saved Draft deleted