1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Jays sign-stealing story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 11, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Mythbusters do a sports edition.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Chris Jones and the guys at the Tao of Stieb Jays blog discuss - via email it looks like - the ESPN story:

http://taoofstieb.blogspot.com/2011/08/story-of-bold-venture.html

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My chief reactions:

* ESPN billed this as an OTL Investigation while doing the legwork of a two paragraph notebook piece. How hard can it possibly be to confirm the presence of this man in white at the games, once you have the tip that he's there? It sounds like the reporter was unable to confirm his presence through game tapes. Um.. how about going to a few games? You know where he's supposedly sitting. I would think a man in white raising his arms every other pitch would be easy to spot over the course of a 9 inning game.

* Having said that, most of the negative reaction I've seen is some hilarious fanboi shit. Any response to it that begins with "Buh buh if it was the Red Sox and Yankees..." cannot possibly be taken seriously.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Apropos of nothing, they have in the past. They've done an episode of baseball myths (testing eye black and whether it's faster to slide, among others), and whether helium-filled footballs can be punted farther than air-filled ones (they can't.)

And Kari Byron still hasn't called me back. Yet I stare at the phone constantly.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I liked CBC asking Blue Jays fans what they though. Who cares? The fans aren't part of the story.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays were accused of something that isn't against the rules, so the biggest thing at stake is their reputation. A team's most important relationship is arguably with the folks who buy tickets and jerseys. A little fan perspective seems warranted.

Draft saved Draft deleted