1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blu-Ray -- is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Honest, I did a search and couldn't find anything recent.

If retailers get desperate this Christmas and the cost of a player goes down to $250 or so, is Blu-Ray worth it?

I have a pretty standard HDTV (LCD, not plasma). I assume I would just plug the Blu-Ray into the jacks the DVD player is in now.

But is the improvement that much better? Are there enough titles out there? Can i still play regular DVDs on it?

Thanks for any help.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

$250

No

$100

Yes

3. Chuck Dickey

Chuck Dickey Member

I've had a Blu-Ray for just about a year now. I bought it on a whim while at Costco one day.

The picture looks really great. The discs take way too long to load (not sure if that's a Blu-Ray quirk or I simply bought a crappy one), and they're a bit too expensive for my taste. I have an LCD HD that's a few years old, so it only has one HDMI jack. So, I have to plug and unplug the Blu-Ray depending on whether I want to watch TV or a DVD.

In short: Nice picture, not enough discs, more of a pain in the ass than it's worth, but will probably pay off in the long run.

4. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

I've been on the fence about purchasing a Blueray player for a while now, and the cost to buy one is just too high.

I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD HD (720p), and right now, to buy one at $250 is just too much when you gotta pay $30 for a movie, as well...

There's a difference, for sure, but I go different routes to watch movies in high definition, instead of going the Blueray way...

I watch movies on DirecTV's ppv in high def. and also get them on Xbox Live marketplace on my 360...

I think once the price of a Blueray comes down to about $150 and dvds are $20 or so it will be much worth it.

But the cost and the library isn't up there enough yet to justify a purchase yet.

Also, all blueray players have a slow loading time...

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

If you are going to go Blu-Ray, just buy a Playstation 3.
    I love Blu-Ray with my 56" HD TV (1080p) and it's freaking great.
    However, I wouldn't buy a Blu-Ray player at that price. It's all about the games for me, Blu-Ray is just a plus.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uhh...no. cause once I buy Blu-Ray, what's next?

Upgrading from VHS to DVD made a lot of sense. I don't see any appreciable upgrade in this, except for the jerkfaces who make money off me buying my sixth version of "Heathers."

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I bought a Sony Blu-Ray at BJ's Wholesale Club for $280, which included a HDMI cable, which to me was too good a deal to pass up.
    The same model retails for $300 without a HDMI cable.
    I have it hooked up to my Toshiba 42-inch 1080p LCD HDTV and the Blu Ray movies I have (Indy 4 and Iron Man) look stunning.
    There's a scene in Indy where they close in on Cate Blanchett and you can actually see the fuzz on her face.
    If you don't have a 1080p HDTV, do NOT get a Blu Ray because you won't get the best possible picture. If you own a 720p, buy an upconverting DVD player. It's a cheaper alternative.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Thanks, all.

I'm thinking I'll pass for now.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now that the prices have come down considerably, it's probably worth considering...

I won't buy one because I don't buy or rent DVDs anymore. I download everything or "rent" off iTunes or Amazon.

The difference between regular DVD and Blu-Ray is amazing though.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, you've purchased the previous five versions -- including the rarely found laserdisc...

11. KG

KG Active Member

I have a PS3, but I've yet to purchase a Blu-Ray movie. I've seen them playing in the store though, and they seem to have a great picture. I haven't bought a movie in a long time. All of mine are downloaded.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There aren't many movies I would pay $29.99 to own.

Draft saved Draft deleted