1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloomberg : Debates a Waste of Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 19, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Go ahead! Throw your vote away!!!

[​IMG]

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

From the official US Senate biography on Roosevelt (where as VP he served as president of the Senate).
    "There were also financial reasons for Roosevelt's reluctance to run (for VP). He was, by his own standards, a man of "very moderate means." The vice president was expected to carry on an active social life in Washington, which required "the expenditure of a good deal of money for entertaining and the like." Roosevelt could certainly not entertain on a scale comparable to that of Levi Morton and Garret Hobart, the two most recent Republican vice presidents. Still, if the office held opportunities to do valuable work, Roosevelt would have tolerated the financial problems."

Edmund Morris also wrote about his lack of financial restraint. He had burned through a lot of his family inheritance (a total less than $200,000) by the time he was nominated for vice-president.

Sorry for the history lesson.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hmm. I back the GOP and am still proud to admit it, but I gotta wonder what a Bloomberg ticket would do. I'd consider a Bloomberg vote under the right circumstances. Beats what Jim "Benedict Arnold" Jeffords did to the GOP.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What's fascinating to me is that Thompson, Bloomberg and Rudy have ALL appeared on Law & Order. Can the Dems match them with Elizabeth Olivet or Jack McCoy?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who wouldn't?

Wait.. sorry, You said 'to run'

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not to mention how many times Rudy's ex-wife has appeared on L&O as a judge.

7. But it was Rudy who appointed Dianne Weist as interim DA.
    Strike 250.
    Also, Bloomberg changed his registration from R to I today.
    I don't like this at all.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Make no mistake, I could envision voting for Mike in a 3-way . . . if we're faced with Hill, and/or
    the GOP's fascist of the month . . . and that's EXACTLY what he's counting on.

9. Gee.
    Hillary. Mike and Rudy.
    Three New Yorkers. A woman, a Jew, and a thrice-divorced Catholic.
    Heads across South Carolina are exploding as we speak.
    Bloomberg-Hagel?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

At least two of which are actual New Yorkers, and the other which moved to the state for political expediency.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Are you implying that a weekend away from the city makes him absentee mayor?

he's far from it.

one thing I like about Mike is he prioritizes fiscal responsibility, something his predecessor was short on to the point that the previous administration head PR man had to respond to Bloombergs recent criticisms of how they operated.

Mike is actually more beloved in this city than the previous mayor because he has vision and doesn't run away from an exchange of dialogue with groups that may not be on the same page as him, an attractive quality the current administration is short on but required in this day and age.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Only 1 New Yorker......Bloomberg's a Boston boy.

And Fenian...thats a great line...."A woman, a Jew, and a thrice-divorced Catholic."

Draft saved Draft deleted