1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloomberg : Debates a Waste of Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Have no doubt he'd be delighted to run in a 3-way. I have this week's Time where it belongs . . . close to the water closet.

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Bloomberg: the new John Anderson?

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's really not a job interview because how many job cnadidates can negotiate on the terms of the interview/debate.

Similarly, you probably wouldn't hire somebody for a manager job based solely on an interview. You would check out their past record and maybe ask them how they would handle a situation based on a set of facts, seeking an analysis.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It tells us that democracy has failed in America.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is President Mike going to take lots of weekend trips without telling anyone where he's going--and then complain when people want to know where he is?

Nice to see he was interviewed for this story in California. Thanks for paying such close attention to the city you "run," Mike.

He's a world-class joke regardless of party affiliation. I'll go Republican because I can't beat Mark Green! No, wait, I'll go independent because I can't beat John McCain or Mitt Romney!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gold, in the debates so far the sponsors/broadcasters have dictated the terms of the debates.I I guess you missed the Fox News debate question asking candidates how they would handle an attack on a mall with another pending and a terrorist with information on the attack in Guantanamo. If they're not job interviews they are the closest voters get to them. And I've found these early debates to be much better than the general election debates that do have negotiated terms.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

In the general election, there are negotions on the debate terms including how many debates there will be, when they will be, and on the format.

In the presidential primary election, no candidate has any leverage to dictate terms. In that circumstance, regular people should have the opportunity to ask questions.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I agree with Mike - the debates are a waste of time. I have more respect for the canidates who thumb their nose at them instead of performing like trained chimps on command.

I predict that many of currrent crop of canidates will flame out because the country will be sick of seeing them long before election takes place. Canidates like Gore or Blloomberg - sitting it out so far, can jump in and fill the vacum.

I think Bloomberg is pragmatic thinker with a 20,000 foot view of country. I would compare him to someone like Teddy Roosevelt- the canidate. Big picture thinker with tons of money who does not need to job.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is the clock ticking on the Fred Thompson boom already? I think the political press needs ritilin. And Teddy Rooselvelt was never very rich (I've read a bunch of his biographies). He scraped by by writing books and on his government gigs. He really didn't have a lot of family money.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

We aren't a democracy . . . we're a republic.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

So Bloomberg is leaving the Republican Party and NY TV stations are reporting that he's ready to spend as much as $500,000,000 (YES, FIVE HUNDRED MILLION, from his net worth of more than $5 BILLION) to run for Presdent as an independent .. now that would make for some fun in 2008

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Trung's running? Who knew?

Draft saved Draft deleted