1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Bloody Monday at Kansas City Star'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know Pedley was worried this could happen. I'm thinking no way, for the reasons David mentioned.
    Just goes to show, quality no longer means shit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NASCAR writers and golf writers are the first cut at almost every paper no matter how good they are.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Departures like this are just going to make NASCAR fans turn to the Internet even more.

So not only is this short-sighted and stupid, but it's also going to drive away passionate race fans to ESPN.com and Jayski and other sights like That's Racin and Racing One.

I keep hearing print folks who say "yeah, well, you can't get better information than what we provide." That's increasingly not the case.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know Mike only from long-ago social/apse occasions. Always enjoyed his company. I had a few bosses like him; always appreciated them for who they are.

I'm really running out of things to say on these threads full of awful news. Best of luck to all involved. Pedley, apparently a fellow Badger but who I never met, sounds like my kind of guy.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Best of luck.

6. billikens

billikens Member

I just saw the list expand to include Mike Fitzgerald, assistant sports editor. Since my move from sports writing to PR, I've freelanced for the Star and Mike was my contact there. Just a fantastic guy, and so appreciative of the work his stringers do, even if the (my) writing wasn't always on par with the rest of the section. And even on his days off, he's always willing to answer a question (even a dumb one). I probably don't know him as well as others on the board, but I feel safe in saying the Star lost another quality editor and person.

David Boyce is also on the list. Don't know him well, but always enjoyed the times we'd end up sitting next to each other in a press box.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

more names

Eric Palmer, Deputy Business Editor
    DeAnn Smith, Investigative Reporter
    Rick Alm, Gambling & Tourism Reporter
    David Hayes, Technology/Internet Reporter
    Malcom Garcia, Reporter
    Don Allmon, IT
    Greg Peters, Photo Desk
    Katie Middleton, Northland Editor
    Jim Pedley, Motor Sports Writer
    John Mark Eberhart, Books Editor
    Ward Triplett, Wire Editor (credit Pitch)
    Robert Folsom, Features Copy Editor
    David Boyce, Sports Reporter
    Mike Fitzgerald, Asst. Sports Editor

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The link if people want to refresh: http://bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/staremployeesletgo.html

9. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Pedley. Goddammit. Guy bled for that newspaper. Can't say enough about the kind of writer and person he is. This makes me feel sick.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Boyce. Dammit, why did it have to be Boyce? (For the record, I don't know him.... just a great reporter.)

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Boyce is a great guy, too. I think he was at the Star 15-20 years.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

To show how bad it's getting an assistant sports editor got laid off. Now managers are slowly starting to go because basically they have no reporters left that can possibly be let loose. I feel sorry for all of them but it's coming for all of us soon, except those five or 10 folks on major metro sports staffs who will run the internet editions of newspapers. For an auto racing writer an assistant sports editor and another sports writer to get laid off, that's a huge chunk.

Draft saved Draft deleted