1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

A friend of mine at a smaller paper asked me a blogging question that I couldn't answer. Perhaps some people along here might provide some wisdom into handling the problem.
    It seems that many people are using the paper's internet site to take cheap shots at area coaches and the coaches aren't pleased.
    Is there a guideline that should be used to post blogs such as a legitimate email address or a name?
    I ask because my friend said several coaches have threatened legal action against the paper.
    Thanks for the comments. I will pass them on.
    Drip

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Bloggiing

Thinkiing.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A new application for the Wii?

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Fine - Coach screwed up that call on fourth down.
    Not fine - Coach screws the AD's wife.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Several' coaches threatening legal action? And he's asking you for advice?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think he asked my advice about what to do about the blogging. The comments he said have been pretty raw and he didn't want to get into a censorship thing.
    He definitely didn't want or need my advice on it from a legal standpoint. I'm not a lawyer nor do I pretend to be one.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You'll also never win a spelling bee.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Without knowing what they're saying, it's hard to know if the legal business is a legitimate threat. My guess is not, but I obviously can't tell for sure.

There are thousands upon thousands of blogs, many with the ability to comment after posts. And you don't read very much about legal liability regarding them.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Never interred one.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Your friend should not be taking cheap shots at the coach. If it is reader comments, web editors and your friend should be able to delete the offending posts and write an entry that says any libelous, slanderous and offending comments will be deleted and the reader will be banned from posting.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You're not describing a blogger. You're describing an Internet commenter.

And I don't think this happened.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I asked him about whether the coaches involved responded to the blogs and he said they didn't but held the paper responsible for "slanderous remarks.".

Draft saved Draft deleted