1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Then they should not be associated with those of us who are objectively covering. They should be in the crowd where the fans belong.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Think that would change if they had access? Ever? Even minor stories?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This is a discussion I'm certain we'll be having more and more and more with each passing season.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Again, to be fair, the Islanders' proposed Bloggers' Row isn't in the press box. If it was, that would be a mistake -- and I think you'd find a lot of bloggers agreeing with you on that point.

And J_D, no doubt you're right. Think of a few years ago, when Rivals.com guys were pariahs on most major-college football beats...now, in most places I'm familiar with, they're at least tolerated. And the world hasn't come to an end, even if some Rivals guys aren't ideally objective reporters or ideally skilled wordsmiths.

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

It might, yes. But there's a chance, to me, that it may be a case of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

I guess, unfortunately, we'll have to see.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

But assume that, in theory, such a blog(s) exists. Is it fair for them to cover an event if that's the case?

7. Johnny Dangerously

One thing I think we can all agree upon is the Internet has changed our business forever. Teams and fans have more power than ever in reporting information and shaping opinions in ways that were once almost our exclusive domain. That train has left the station, and it's not coming back.

There will be more and more things we might not like, and they're not going to ask us how we feel about it. Teams have more ways than ever to try to bypass us and go directly to the fans -- Web sites, message boards, radio and TV shows, etc. -- and this latest idea adds to a list that I'm certain is going to grow, not shrink.

8. Mighty_Wingman

One thing we're overlooking is that while many bloggers may be loyal fanboys, plenty aren't. A team that credentials the guys from Kissing Suzy Kolber, for example, is going to be disappointed if it expects fawning coverage. Ditto TheBigLead. Ditto Deadspin. Ditto Every Day Should Be Saturday. And on and on.

And media members who think bloggers are cliche-bound idiots should read FireJoeMorgan, a blog dedicated to criticizing media members who are cliche-bound idiots.

9. Johnny Dangerously

All excellent points, but the Islanders want "passionate Islander fans only," or something like that. Do you suppose other teams will be more open to the type bloggers you listed?

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

If it's an objective blog that adheres to the same standards and ethics we hold ourselves to, then I think I'd be ok with it.

11. Mighty_Wingman

I doubt it. But as I said earlier, "passionate" can cut both ways. I wouldn't be surprised to see this blow up if the Islanders play like shit in a game and a blogger asks a tactless question of a short-fused player or coach.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Good notebook material for me if I'm there, I say. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted