1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Best-case scenario, some bloggers come and discover our jobs are harder than they look.

Worst-case scenario, some bloggers come and discover our jobs aren't as hard as some of us make them out to be.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

3. Mighty_Wingman

Seriously, though, I see plenty of reasons for concern in this Islanders case. And I know exactly what you're talking about with the fans and boosters in postgame interviews.

One point I haven't seen anyone make: What happens the first time the bloggers get rowdy? This might not be a concern in the New York market, which seems to have a more combative press ethos than most places. But if, say, Southern State U decides to add a bloggers' box for the football season, I'd guess the experiment will end the first time the home team loses and some blogger asks the coach whether he thinks he should be fired for running a draw on 3rd and 16.

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

I was at Daytona a few years ago when Jeff Gordon won the 500. Some guy and his kid sneaked into the media center and screamed "JEFF GORDON RULES!" while Gordon was doing his post-race press conference and then ran out of the building. Guy didn't even spill his drink.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Yeah. That's one of my fondest childhood memories of spending time with my dad.

6. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

The day when access is granted by drawing names out of a hat is the day when we've lost any shred of a professional, working atmosphere.<p>
    Bloggers are nothing more than fans with high-speed, too much free time on their hands and an often unhealthy devotion for the teams they follow. They are the middle-aged guys who camp out at downtown hotels, trying to get autographs. They are the bozo who paints his NFL team's logo on the family SUV and drives around with those little team flags in the windows all ... year ... long. They are the warthogs who wrestle foul balls out of little kids' hands at the ballpark. They are the Mensa rejects who still think Chris Berman is clever.<p>
    Keep 'em outta my damn workplace. :mad: :mad:

7. Mighty_Wingman

Some bloggers fit that description. Very many don't.

Of course, plenty of journalists, for whatever reason, seem to get their rocks off by ripping bloggers. Whatever makes you feel good, man.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So where do you draw the line for what qualifies as "real journalism" and what doesn't? For every bad quality about bloggers listed, I know there are reporters/anchors/hosts that do the same thing. I ask this question because I guess I've had trouble formulating an exact definition.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Not at Islanders games

10. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Forget the questions they would ask - Would bloggers even use access they would receive? I'm willing to doubt it. I'm not a fan of blogs, of course, but none of them succeed now with any kind of original reporting. Why would they deviate from the "tried and true" formula?

11. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Here is my problem with the majority of bloggers (taken from the article):

"Lady Luck is going to have to show up here if we’re going to pull this out

If we’re going to lose I want to see a brawl"

if WE'RE going to pull this out.

That is something that makes you a professional -- not using words like "we" when talking about the team you are supposed to be objectively covering.

12. Mighty_Wingman

But -- in fairness -- bloggers aren't supposed to be objectively covering anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted