1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging...the future of journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by docpetervenkman84, Jan 29, 2010.

1. docpetervenkman84

docpetervenkman84 New Member

My name is Ben Meyers and I am a student-teacher (and former sportswriter/page designer at the Saratogian and Post-Star) and I am in charge of creating a new unit on blogging and its place in the future of journalism.

Here is are the questions I have been sending to some of my contacts in the industry:

1. What are typical things that you put into a blog post? Opinions, news, game stories, etc?

2. What are the type of posts that tend to garner the most attention?

3. How often do you post to a blog and what is the typical length of a post?

4. Do you enjoy blogging?

5. Is blogging the future of journalism?

But I wanted to know what everyone here thought as well.

If you could e-mail your responses back with a name and a publication you work for I will use them in class and post them on the blog I am running for the class: www.21stcenturybdown.wordpress.com

Thanks

Ben Meyers
    docpetervenkman84@gmail.com
    ben_meyers@hotmail.com

(I also run a blog about fan behavior: The Fan's Voice Awards - www.fansvoiceawards.wordpress.com)

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. How much money do you make off your blog?

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Answer to 6.) No money, but it's a darn useful resource. And I still have to write the same amount for the newspaper, though most of that gets cut because we have no space anymore.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

5. Is blogging the future of journalism?

No. It's part of the future. It's a complementary tool.

And, I second the question: How much (if any) can you/do you make off a blog?

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Yes, your Honor, this man has no dick.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. spnited

spnited Active Member

You know, I'm really surprised we've never considered or talked about this subject before.
    Blogs as the future of journalism. Hmm. Let me think about that.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How 'bout you either answer the man's questions or you don't? Being a wiseass doesn't help anybody and just makes all of us look like asses. Pretty solid questions and - as much as we traditionalists may hate to admit it - blogging is here to stay. Any full-time beat writer who isn't blogging these days is behind.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Couldn't agree more. When I was on the college beat here, my blog was my baby. But it was still a complementary tool. And I think they always will be - until money (and lots of it) can be made off them. I just don't see that happening.

11. docpetervenkman84

docpetervenkman84 New Member

Thanks Mod. I'm just looking to show students that there are blogs out there, it is part of the field, and what everyone does.

I already got one response, but the more the better.

I know it is a sore subject (for some), but I have to think that if you are posting on a message board than you either A) have written on a blog, B) read a blog, or C) had an opinon about it.

Thanks again Mod, but even the negative is at least something

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think we need to come up with another word besides "blog" because that word has such a negative connotation for some reason. The whole vision of Mom's Basement and all that. I came up with "Extra" during my brief reign of terror. Whatever you want to call it, it is here to stay.

Draft saved Draft deleted