1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogging can be fatal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Del Lord, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Excerpt from this link: http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=574

July 15. San Antonio Express-News Sports Editor Mitchell Krugel admitted to using four paragraphs from a June 19 column by Gil LeBreton, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Krugel's piece on Tiger Woods ran June 20 with a tag line that said "wire services contributed to this report." Krugel and Editor Robert Rivard wrote apologies to readers.

2. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

DL
    There are two sides two every story. One side has never been mentioned about Harry Page’s dismissal. You be the judge if this guy plagiarized or not. Please note the site was taken offline on Nov. 1, so no one could really know if the charges were correct or not. These are the stories Page supposedly plagiarized:

(The stories have been shortened).

404 Object Not Found
    BowlingWhat’s going on in the alleys of San Antonio? Check back frequently to find out.
    October 28, 2007
    The $100,000 Rash
    2ND UPDATED
    (PBA LLC/Gregg Sabel photo)
    (If you missed the finals of the USBC Masters, the combined stories from USBC’s Lucas Wiseman and the PBA’s Rosie Leutzinger will put you in the middle of Milwaukee’s Miller Stadium)
    Wichita, Kan. bowler wins USBC Masters
    By Lucas Wiseman/Rosie Leutzinger (Combined stories)
    There are certain things in life that are guaranteed to happen, such as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. Sean Rash of Wichita, Kan., is trying to itch another certainty for the books as that’s not in a televised bowling finals. In his first championship round appearance in a Major and bowling for the first time in a baseball stadium, Rash showed there isn’t much that can faze him.

USBC Master: Youth bowler successful
    Bowl.com
    Wichita State freshman finishes in Top 24
    By Matt Cannizzaro (USBC Communications)
    Jake Peters of Decatur, Ill., stormed into the national spotlight and established himself as one of the top youth bowlers in the country with a win at the 2006 Teen Masters a little more than a year ago.Peters, an 18-years-old freshman at Wichita State University and an United States Bowling Congress Youth member, surprised many veterans by finishing in the top 24 at the 2007 USBC Masters in Wauwatosa, Wis.

Dorin-Ballard named to Team USA 2008
    Texas resident one of seven women picked
    by USBC By Kevin Hazaert
    (USBC communications)
    Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of North Richland Hills and Wendy Macpherson of Henderson, Nev., will represent the United States for the first time as members of Team USA 2008.Dorin-Ballard, a New Jersey native, and Macpherson were one of the two announced selections by the United States Bowling Congress Wednesday from USBC headquarters in Greendale, Wis.Also added to Team USA 2008 were Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y.; Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J., Kim Terrell of Antoich, Calif.; Diandra Asbaty of Chicago, Ill.; and Missy Bellinder and Fullerton, Calif. A USBC committee selected the seven from the pool of players that included Team USA members since 1998 and former Professional Women’s Bowling Association/Ladies Professional Bowlers Tour members.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:XiyAstd00WIJ:blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/bowling/+%22USBC+Master:+Youth+bowler%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ushttp://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:XiyAstd00WIJ:blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/bowling/+%22USBC+Master:+Youth+bowler%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

From Google search “USBC Master: Youth bowler”
    http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:XiyAstd00WIJ:blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/bowling/+%22USBC+Master:+Youth+bowler%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

October 14, 2007
    Liz Johnson wins second U.S. Open title
    Both Barnes and Dorin-Ballard fall in semifinals bowl.com
    By Lucas Wiseman (USBC communications)
    Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y., earned the top prize of $25,000 by downing Team USA’s Shannon O’Keefe of Rochester, N.Y., 248-215, in the finals of the United States Bowling Congress’ (USBC) 2007 U.S. Women’s Open Sunday (Oct. 14) at the National Bowling Stadium in Reno, Nev.
    “Once I stepped out on the lanes, I felt aggressive and focused,” Johnson told USBC communications officials. “I really haven’t felt that good in a very long time and I think it showed on the lanes today (Sunday).

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/bowling/archives/2007/10/liz_johnson_win_1.html

I’ve heard of putting an "old horse" out to pasture, but this certainly wasn't a "loyal" way to do it. The accusations seem unfair.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Personally, it sounds like a sorry excuse for a company to drop a 40-year salary to bring in some new guy right out of school to make 1/6 of what this man was making.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When the shit is unedited, it is fucking potentially lethal.

5. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

Editing isn't the question. Stealing someone's material and making it appear as one's own is. And, as far as I have researched, Page properly attributed his sources for the material he used on his bowling blog.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i rarely agree with anything you post, but it was nice of you to put your name behind that.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

That's what I was thinking.

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Time to work on that 300

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This is exactly what I do. Or, I'll say the following appears on so-and-so's website and then put the clip in quotes.

10. Page shouldn't go down without a fight. It's one thing to be fired. It's another thing to be fired AND have your professional reputation sullied by the organization you spent 40 years working for.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First, if attributed as we've seen, I don't get this shit at all. Our bloggers link to other places all the time. It's part of the deal.

By the way, I know it was kinda tongue-in-cheek, but the comments on "bowling blog"? A blog is absolutely a perfect way to handle something like this when the print edition is constantly running out of room for it. Same with preps.

Only paradox is, of course, that older readers who wouldn't know a blog from a banana stand are the ones looking for something on bowling in their newspapers.

12. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

That's for sure! I hope you're right about the fight! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted