1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLOGGER! tries to explain the difference between BLOGS! and journalism ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Big Daddy Drew is one of the bloggers who truly gets "it" in my opinion. He doesn't see himself as a journalist in any way. He doesn't want to be one, doesn't want to be confused for one, doesn't want to be grouped in with them. He wants to make off-color jokes about Rex Grossman fucking cheerleaders and parodies of the media. And personally, maybe because I'm relatively young, I think it's hilarious.

Seriously, how can you be in our business and not think this is funny?

http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2006/12/i-am-insufferable-dipshit_19.html

He's a humorist. Some of his commentary actually is insightful. Some if it is just dick jokes, something he openly acknowledges. I think to dismiss him upfront because he swears is a little silly. He's very smart and extremely well read. Hell, I wish he'd contribute here on SportsJournalists.com.

What I like about KSK is that they produce original content. Deadspin, TBL, a few others ... they just find links post them. Drew is right, TBL's movie "reviews" are laughable, they're so bad. But if you want to see a half-naked teenager and an interview with someone who works for the Akron Beacon Journal, then you can get it on TBL.

If you want to see humorous parodies of the NFL, you can get them on KSK. They're not stealing them; they're writing them. And they don't want to be considered journalists. They just want to be the good friends who watch football together on Sundays and make jokes about the players. I'm cool with that.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The problem is there are more bloggers who act like BDD and WANT to be taken seriously and want creds than there are terrible journalists who don't deserve creds.

Sure, there are poor journalists. But even the poor ones usually have schooling, training, some sort of credibility. And that credibility can be taken away from the accrediting source (team, coach, readers, etc)

Some (again SOME) bloggers are just fanboys, wannabe journalists, ranters, etc.

And that number outnumbers the poor journalists.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

The expectation that many bloggers seem to have is that if you don't like their stuff, or don't let them sit in the same general it's-all-just-information pool, then somehow you are out of it or stuck in some wistful time warp. I read plenty of blogs (especially like the bubble-busting real estate sites), but because they're found on the same delivery models as mainstream journalism, they've been absorbed in many people's eyes as being interchangeable. The blogging-in-underwear rants are tiresome, but the industry's aspirations of fairness and thoroughness are the equity we have and must maintain.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i can't take bloggers seriously, but i'd surely pony up in my boxers at work if they let me.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What I keep coming back to is access.

You have a subset of writers -- whether they think of themselves as journalists or not -- who want, expect, demand comparable access to those who put in the time, did the work to EARN their spot on press row.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Brilliant. Fucking brilliant...

I agree with every single word he wrote, and it should go down as some sort of bloggers manifesto...

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

BLOGGER!

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think Frank hit it on the sweet spot, as usual.

Don't get me wrong, I think Big Daddy Drew is hilarious, and I read my share of BLOGS! But there are plenty of BLOGGERS! out there who do, in fact, take themselves too seriously and want others to do the same, but then pull out the "don't treat me like the MSM! I'm not the MSM!" card when called on their bullshit.

That said, if I could find a way to make a decent living posting dick jokes on the interwebs while I'm drinking my morning coffee ... sign my ass up.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Wait ... you guys read Playboy?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Are you using "read" in the past or present tense? ;)

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, I only look at the pictures.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Old habits die hard?

Draft saved Draft deleted