1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blog maps out changes in STL P-D coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 25, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.

H.L. Mencken

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It's that kind of thinking that has helped the newspaper industry reach the peak of popular esteem it currently enjoys. Bravo.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, wingman, but the esteem in which we are held is not nearly as low as so many of you seem to think.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/564/internet-news-audience

55 percent of readers surveyed in this Pew poll think "news organizations" don't care about the people they report on. One reason they think that just might be because so many people in news organizations are smug elitists who love to underestimate "the common people" and congratulate themselves about it.

That Mencken quote makes for a hell of a soundbite, but as a worldview, it's pretty pathetic.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Mencken quote was meant sarcastically.
    And that same Pew poll says 78% view their local daily newspaper favorably.
    I'll take 78% liking what we do.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I think if the readers knew how much of a cash cow newspapers are (I understand the St. Louis P-D has a profit margin of 31 FUCKING percent) I don't think they would have much faith in newspapers being "transparent" about telling their readers they are getting less of a product for the same price.
    Most newspaper bosses and the redesign douche bags have little to no respect for the intelligence of the readers.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Stu Durando, the Illinois writer, hasn't said anything about the paper's changing coverage or why he hasn't been at media days. At least I haven't seen that in any of his posts, but the U of I beat is also taking a lot of the budget cuts, which is probably why he isn't mentioning things.

Draft saved Draft deleted