1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blog maps out changes in STL P-D coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 25, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Eff Lee.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Graham's good people and I consider her a friend, but I wouldn't have done this. The readers can judge for themselves the content of the paper without us telling them, "We're cutting back, and here's what's up with me."

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like the general concept of transparency. We'll usually write a column or at least throw in a fact box each year about this time to remind readers, "Okay, Tuesday's paper has a lot about Team A because Monday is their press conference. Wednesday's paper has a lot about Team B for the same reason."

That, and a few packaging cues, and we get a lot less phone calls saying "Aren't you going to write anything about Team B this week?"

A lot less.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Bad idea.

"We're not doing too good a job right now, and you've probably noticed. We hope to get better, but we might not. Sorry."

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It drives me fucking crazy that papers think downsizing will help matters in the long haul. It's a quick fix for greedy fucking corporate assholes that will ruin things in the long run.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was sort of my biggest problem with this -- not that Graham wrote this, rather that the P-D made some of these decisions. Illuminating the public: I have no problems with that whatsoever. Maybe if a few thousand people cancel subscriptions because the paper's downsizing pages will set off a light bulb for at least one exec.

7. Don't know Graham but I praise her for this. This is exactly what newspapers should be doing. Nobody should be ripping her at all.

We as reporters want our bosses to be open about changes and we want our sources to be open and honest with us. Newspapers often think they're above this shit, but we're not.

She'll get ten times more respect from readers for being candid. I guarantee it. I've done similar things on my blog and it's always paid off. It builds trust.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

She might build respect, but it won't make her coverage any more vital to her readers. If her coverage is cut back, what does it matter whether she's being honest about it or not?

For the vast majority of readers, it's about the product, not the byline on the product. If they're getting less it wouldn't matter if Jesus wrote it, they'll go elsewhere to get what they need if there's another place to go.

9. It's not her fault the newspaper is cutting space. She's dealing with it in an admirable way ... by being honest.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think this entire "transparency" thing is being overdone. We do not have to expalin (make excuses for?) everything we do and why coverages change.

This graf is particularly disturbiung to me:

You will, however, notice that some of the stuff I’m writing this year will be shorter. We lost a few pages in sports because of money issues and now I have to share a smaller space with all of the pro sports and sometimes Illinois (though we’re trying to alternate days for coverage)...

99% of the readers will not realize if a story or notebook is 13 inches instead of 16 ... to say we've lost space "becuase of money issues" is a flat out dumb thing to tell readers.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I liked this. Colleges readers seem to be a slightly different (twisted) breed. They hold "their" writers to the fire for everything from slant of coverage to amount to whether the rival school isn't getting more attention. It's so damned personal to them (not a bad thing, of course). Graham addressed the Illinois/Mizzou stuff and everything else, and none of that can hurt.

Heaven knows all the deranged college bloggers (BLOGS!) would have caught on to the P-D's plan and raised a stink in their little corner of the world, so why not pre-empt that with a newspaper blog?

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Not if it's true. The average reader of the P-D, or any metro, is going to notice that the paper that lands on their porch every morning is thinner than it was 5 years ago, that it has less in it, even though it probably costs the same. We might as well be honest about that, about why that is, and about the fact that for space (i.e. money) reasons, you're going to see less Mizzou coverage this season, or whatever.
    We certainly hype it when we add coverage. To pretend readers aren't going to notice when we subtract it underestimates their intelligence. And underestimating their intelligence is more likely to drive readers away than honestly saying that we can't (or won't) do everything we used to.

Draft saved Draft deleted