1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#blindingnemo: The 2013 blizzard

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The $1100 I spent on the snowblower has been the best investment of my life. I'd rather have it than have bought Apple in 1996 with the money -- right now anyway.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So you'd rather have a snowblower than tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars?

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

From $3.50/share to $700? You didn't have to buy that many shares before you could have afforded a snowblower and a peon. Or at least a teenager.

4. My wife and I dug out from a 60-inch blizzard that hit us in 2003 in the mountains outside of Denver. Had to use a regular shovel when the snow shovel broke.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

"Winter Storm Orko"

What the hell is this and who the hell at The Weather Channel is naming these things?

So, do I plan on Jim F. Cantore showing up? Dare I dream?

Good thing I made four extra batches of Lutefisk for dinner tonight. Had planned on using them for ice melt tomorrow (works great on sidewalks and driveways!) but will feed the Weather Channel folks instead.

Rosie, you out there? Need lemon bars. Zeke, buttered ham rolls.

So much to do when company comes!

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't forget the hotdish!

7. Machine Head

Doesn't melt the ice.

Lutefisk rules hard.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"Lutefisk on Sidewalk" could definitely get you into the Whitney Biennial.

9. Machine Head

You have no idea how close to home that one is 8)

I think we're all set..Small Town Guy is set to sherpa guide Cantore..slappy's manning the Jack Daniel's station..Armchair has the "Norm Green Sucks" signs..we're ready for our close-up, Mr. DeMille.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As much as some people have been yelling "Nanny state," about the travel ban, it may have been the only way to get people's attention.
    If the only ones who could have been hurt were the ones foolish enough to go out in the storm, that would have been one thing, but when they get in the way of plows and emergency vehicles, it puts others at risk.
    I don't get why some people don't understand that.
    I also realize my car troubles have ruined my credibility on just about everything.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The gov was absolutely correct in ordering the roads closed. I drove a co-worker home last night and the Artery and 93 in town were pretty much cleared, and that was about six hours after the storm ended. Even Storrow Drive was passable. Drove home tonight and the main roads were decent.

We just got power back a couple hours ago. Lots of people still without; many are on the South Shore coast (which is a wreck) and they're screwed.

Draft saved Draft deleted