1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report's Advanced Program in Sports Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SBR

SBR Member

e.g. Patch

2. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Oh, the "do your research" lecture. Yawn.

Yes, I've looked up guys like Beck and King. None of them seem to have an email listed on their BR profile page or Twitter. Sure, I can take the time to emailing other guys at B/R, but why would I?

Just wondered if anyone had a direct contact to save me time since they need an answer fairly soon. Relax.

3. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Dude, nobody is defending B/R. I've never been a fan of pure source aggregation and excess click bait over quality journalism. I haven't, and am probably not going to, accept this "offer".

But I haven't read much of their stuff in a while and was curious about the details of this paid program, which I figured could be more credible and valuable than sweat shop fan blogging. Maybe not.

People can't get off their high horses without having a discussion in here. Great stuff.

4. SBR

SBR Member

Ahh, but what does "too small" really mean?

A paper with 3,000 subscribers has 3,000 more people paying for its content than Bleacher Report, or your college paper for that matter. And it probably pays more, and offers some level of benefits too, however minimal.

Small is as small does.

murphyc likes this.
  5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You're quite the investigator.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

We keep trying to have a discussion but you keep getting defensive when someone offers you insight or advice that may not correlate to what you already have in your mind. Seriously, read the last two sentences of my previous post. Read what SnarkShark, LTL or sgreenwall have already said. That's the discussion you started but you keep fighting not to have.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. SnarkShark

That's not big enough for the Big Man on Campus.

murphyc likes this.
  8. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Because folks are spewing preconceived notions without any facts about this program. None.

Yeah, I've been going the freelance route as I mentioned earlier in the thread. B/R isn't my "starting point" in the field. I have more than 400 clips between college and a pro paper.

9. SnarkShark

Then, if you're good, your clips should be more than enough to get interviews for gigs across the country. There's jobs posted on this board practically every day.

Apply to them.

If your clips aren't good, they won't be enough to get interviews. That would be a good indication.

BrendaStarr likes this.
  10. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Facts about the actual program itself? Perhaps not. But I don't need to know many facts about an internship with the WSJ to tell you whether or not it would be a good opportunity for a young writer.

What we do have, however, is facts about B/R itself, facts (and experience) about making it as a sports writer and advice for young writers like yourself. No, no one has any first-hand knowledge of the program, but it seemed like you came here looking for it advice and you were given it. You responded to pretty much everything with snark, entitlement and pretension, which is why you are getting the responses you are now. As Dick Whitman would say, you are a special snowflake. So do what you want.

12. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Maybe in a few years you'll look back at some of the posts in this thread and see how young and stupid you were. I'll never understand people that come here looking for help, only to get incredibly defensive at every response that doesn't support their initial thesis. I know nothing about you, but on attitude alone, I wouldn't hire you.

Draft saved Draft deleted