1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report Raises 10.5M, Becomes 5th Largest Sports Website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Schottey, Dec 21, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You should tell him to re-sign. You certainly shouldn't tell him to resign.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Whoa!! Bleacher Report is now conducting their own interviews!! Who would've thought that a news outlet would go out and actually interview people!? That's ground-breaking!! We should all try this!!

Seriously, who comes on a forum just to blow their own horn about their publication's "accomplishments?" That's pathetic.

BR is a bunch of wannabe "journalists." When you start altering the words of your article just so it shows up in a web search you are sacrificing and diminishing the integrity of your work just to succumb to being Google's bitch. That is sad. Go back to your mom's basement. This is sports "journalists".com not sports "bloggers".com.

3. Schottey

Schottey Guest

@golfnut8924 Thank you for being an ass up front, just so I know not to bother.

I've been a member of this forum since before I worked full-time for B/R and I don't plan on stopping because "Golf Nut" told me to.

For the record, I live with my wife and son. Sorry, we're near the beach in Florida, so no basements either.

Also, if by "altering the words," you mean including full names of people, places, and events, then you are correct. Didn't realize it was more valorous to say "Favre" than "Brett Favre."

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I hate to interrupt a good rant, but the last paragraph is simple SEO optimization. Online editors often write headlines and h2 and h3 tags with Google in mind. They tweak a word or two and link it to help with Google. I have no problem with this.

To find which keywords are vulnerable, and then write shit content that exploits those keywords, is where I have an issue. And I imagine Google has an issue with it, too.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Anytime :)

6. Schottey

Schottey Guest

@Shaggy

I would accept the "vulnerable" and "exploit" language if we started every headline today with "Lunar Eclipse:...." But, no we simply identify what content people are looking for and drive that content to be produced.

Speaking only for the articles I assigned to interns today, we took what people were already searching for/interested in and gave them plenty of content from different angles.

I don't think "writing what people are looking for" is exploiting the system.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You're exploiting.

This Rex Ryan story is a good example. You quote two paragraphs from Deadspin, embed the video and it shoots to the top of Google News. It offers nothing for anyone looking for Rex Ryan reaction or anything. You're trying to compete with Deadspin using nothing but Deadspin's information.

On top of that, this is the URL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/550102-nfl-playoffs-kobe-bryant-brett-favre-and-todays-late-sports-news/entry/36300-rex-ryan-does-his-wife-michelle-have-a-foot-fetish

So you got "NFL Playoffs" and "Kobe Bryant" and "Brett Favre" in the URL for a Rex Ryan re-hash. That's not exploiting the system? Hell, you might as well throw "Lunar Eclipse" in too.

I am not a hater, you do what you got to do to make your money. Money for writing is never a bad thing.

I'm just saying, if I were Google, I would exclude you guys from the Google News feed because your content isn't news.

8. Schottey

Schottey Guest

@Shaggy

Nope, if you click on "all updates" you will see this article
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/550102-nfl-playoffs-kobe-bryant-brett-favre-and-todays-late-sports-news

It's a tool we've created called quickhits for aggregating news (also very nice for game previews and post-game news). The footfetish news was part of that and its web address was just an offshoot of the original (very SEO) headline--adding the section name to the quickhit address.

If you notice, the actual title doesn't follow the same formula. I too would have a problem if the actual title of the Rex Ryan re-hash was "NFL Playoffs...."

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I bet you still have Andy and that says everything we need to know about BR.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So many quality posts on this thread that absolutely nail the situation. Their little scam they've got going is a house of cards.

Once somebody at BR stops blowing somebody at Google, it's over.

(Seriously.. Give BR credit for figuring out SEO, and maybe that wherewithall deserves a few million from a VC, but that's about all they got.)

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

There's a fine line between a newspaper editor tweaking a headline for the web version of a story so as to generate more search results and tweaking an entire story.

BR (and many others; I hate to only single out BR but they were the only ones to come on here bragging about themselves) take the SEO stuff to another level in that they craft their entire stories based on SEO. It's SEO writing, not journalism. Forget trying to write a catchy lead, put a unique spin on a phrase or string together some really interesting prose. They are not concerned about that. All they are concerned with is how many SEO friendly terms are in each paragraph. This is where you stop being a writer and start being a Google whore. You aren't writing the words you want to write or the words you think people want to read. You are writing the words that will show up on the first page of Google. It comes out sounding like a Mad Lib. This is why I have a problem with it. You are jeopardizing the integrity of journalism by doing this and then calling yourself a "journalist." As a writer, you should be straining your brain for the perfect word to tie a sentence or paragraph together. But instead, you're straining your brain for the perfect word to generate a search result. Any real writing just goes out the window.

So what we are left with is an internet world watered down with millions of "SEO friendly" articles. It's people like you that are making the rest of us look bad.

The fact that the OP felt the need to come on a forum and brag about his business just goes to show how truly desperate and pathetic they are. Hey Schotty, how many other people do you see here boasting about their publications?

Draft saved Draft deleted