1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report hiring for sports content distributor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blog415, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winos in SF make more than that.....

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What is Schottey's take on this? He's in charge of the interns. I don't know why this job is based in San Francisco when he's in Florida.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

$300 for a 40-hour week (actually less in all months except February) comes down to $7.50/hour. Minimum wage in California has been $8.00/hour since at least 2008.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Outing alert:

blog415 works for Bleacher Report.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I hope this lucky new sports content distributor can give us all a fresh take on the hottest WAG's!

Just in time for the Super Bowl!

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's an internship. Therefore rules don't really apply, do they?

I'd be interested to know how it will work -- if the intern will get school credit or not. If not, then something's wrong.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have no experience creating slideshows or top 10 lists, can I still apply?

8. D-K

D-K New Member

Bleacher Report is a scam. I started one of those internships for them. All they were interested in was getting web hits. Having me write slideshows that basically had already been done an hour before by 10 other people working the program. They just wanted a more relevant slideshow on it. Ever wonder why when you type something sports into Google or Google News basically everything that comes up is Bleacher Report? It's because they have so many unpaid or cheep paid and under qualified writers writing up a sh*t storm for them.

They require you to make your headlines super long so it hits on nearly everything. The only thing the site focuses on is getting people on the site. When they asked me to write some "hotties" slideshows, I was out of there.

Unless you want to add things like SLIDESHOW - Top 100 College Football Jerseys, or SLIDESHOW - Hottest Surfing Babes, to your resume, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

And to touch on Blog415 posting "I saw an add," and he works for the site, that's just like them.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't go wrong when you're name is D Wizzle.

http://dwizzlesworld.blogspot.com/

Back in the day, D Wizzle didn't care much for BR exploiting him.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2761929/

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

He's been outed and he wasn't even in!

11. blog415

blog415 Member

S
    Interesting. SEems like a lot of people hate on Bleacher Report and yes, 14400 a year is not a lot in SF.
    The thing is, they are a great company as far as being successful goes. They are one of the top 200 websites in the USA as far as traffic and hits and they have partnerships with many top sites and NHL com and UFC com etc.

I'm not pro BR or anti BR. I'm just stating the facts.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

BR is not successful. Not even close yet. It's still taking in venture capital.

Are you still in middle school because $14,000 is not much anywhere?

In fact, it's illegal to pay that in California. A company paying 25 cents above the federal minimum wage deserves to get the idiot who will take this job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.