1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blazing Saddles?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mooninite, Apr 14, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

2. Brilliant selection, especially after his stint in the cowboy outfit in "Boogie Nights."

In fact, most of my choices could come straight out of a Paul Thomas Anderson flick:

Beyond Cheadle, my choices:
    Waco Kid: in a stunning turn back to comedy: Sean Penn!
    Hedley Lamarr: Kevin Kline or George Clooney (a la most of his work with the Coen Brothers)
    The Gov.: Robin Williams (closest thing we have to an old-fashioned borscht-belt guy these days)
    Taggart: John C. Reilly
    Lilly Von Schtupp: Maria Bello
    Mongo: Howie Long

I don't think the movie could get redone. Too many Cole Porter references.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

If Jackie Gleason was still alive, he would be the perfect Gov.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Blazing Saddles could certainly get made today. It is real satire, as opposed to Borat. There's a difference between racial humor and racist humor.

Bottom line - people of different races would find Blazing Saddles funny. Great movie.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tony Siragusa is about the nearest thing we have to a 21st century Alex Karras.

Although I could see having Shaq play the role too (just imagine the howls over an African-American playing a 'mentally-challenged' character :eek: :eek: ). Since Mongo only has about four lines in the movie, I think Shaq's acting chops might be up to the task. ;)

Kline or Clooney as Hedley Lamarr would work too -- he's got to have that suave, smooth persona to play off of.

Tom Cruise in an uncredited cameo as Lyle. :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted