1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blaming the readers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mdpoppy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

As The Capital Times is in its last week of print as a daily, Jane Burns seemed to take some parting shots at readers for the paper's downfall in her column this week.

As these final weeks of the Cap Times daily wound down, I found myself getting snitty. "I can't imagine this city without the Cap Times," well-meaning people say to me. "Do you subscribe?" I respond, and the answer has mostly been "no." Co-workers have told me of earnest supporters who ask about a fund to donate to in order to help keep the Cap Times viable. They don't want to subscribe, but want to help. They couldn't see the connection.

And readers wonder why newspapers are trying everything and anything to stay solvent. Sometimes it's like we're trying to sell a flashy new car to people who can't drive.

Our leaders can connect Iraq to 9/11 all they want because too much of the public can't bother to become informed enough to know the difference.

http://www.madison.com/tct/entertainment/stories/282483

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I understand her frustration, because when you have people who would rather hear about Britney Spears than the 10 percent property tax increase, it can drive you nuts.

On the other hand, calling your customers idiots in print won't be very good for future business.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

well, if you're closing up shop anyway ... fire away, I say.

4. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Technically, they're not closing up shop -- going online based while printing inserts in the Wisconsin State Journal. But I suppose they're no longer in the business of attracting print readers, so same thing.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If the business guys didn't keep cutting the size, news hole, and staff of the papers, maybe they would subscribe.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It is never a good idea to insult your customers. Even if they deserve it.

7. The Capital Times is free online. Who made the decision to take something you used to have to pay to receive, and then give it all away for free? Did the readers do that, or did the idiots who run that paper make the call? Why should a reader plunk down money for something the company made the decision to give away for free?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It is never a good idea to insult your superiors, especially when their salaries and job security are greater than yours!

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If
    If only The Capital Times hadn't spiked that story back in 2002 proving that the Iraq war was based on a false premise!!

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I say fuck 'em. They're not reading us anymore, anyway. Let's sink this ship and get on with it. ;)

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's one thing to insult your customers, it's another to blame them for inept business decisions.

Everyone's to blame. Especially George Bush (don't know why, but I'm sure he is).

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In Madison, you're probably 100 percent right.

Draft saved Draft deleted