1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackhawks fan shows Namath how it's done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

IJAG, I merely reacted to the suggestion that a Chicago TV person's ship necessarily would come in via interest from the WWL. Felt that was presumptuous and silly, and backed it with my views -- based on plenty of accounts -- that many people do not enjoy working there or worship in general at the ESPN altar.

Never said "everyone" should tell ESPN to eff off. Just felt this TV person and many others don't need that network's validation. Besides, anyone or anything that acts as if, or thinks that, it is all-that can benefit from being told "no, you aren't" every so often.

You responded with the shot at "shitty" newspaper jobs, which had nothin' to do with nothin' to that point in the thread. False premise -- it's not an either/or of jumping if ESPN calls or languishing in a shitty job.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was for me. :D

3. Joe Williams

I can live with that. :-X

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I like newspapers. :p

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I LOVE newspapers. And I don't know your paper's situation, shottie, but so many of my friends are so beat down right now. And it saddens me. I had a legitimate sense of survivor's guilt when I left Richmond and then they had layoffs that cost many of my friends their jobs.

I just don't want it to become an "it's more noble to plug away than join a large corporation for more money, better benefits" kind of mantra. NOT THAT I'M SAYING THAT'S WHAT JOE WAS DOING. Just ... saying no just to say no and be able to say "I turned down ESPN!" won't make everyone feel great in the long run.

6. Joe Williams

Yeah but it'll make some of us feel great, short or long run. If Sarah of Chicago never works a day at an ESPN outlet, my hunch is she'll do fine and be happy. That's closer to what I was saying anyway.

And here we go again... ?

Draft saved Draft deleted