1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackberry? Palm Pre Plus? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dr. Howard, Apr 29, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The blackberry trackball is the worst piece of technology ever.

But if you're a Brickbreaker addict (admit it, you know who you are), it's really hard to play with the touchpad.

2. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Has anyone else heard that the IPhone is coming out for Verizon before the end of the year? Possibly in the summer?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm convinced the Blackberry Bold would be the best phone for my purposes, but I'm done with ATT when my contract up.
    Done.
    Also, we already have Verizon for our Internet connection, so why not put everything on one bill?

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm a big Blackberry fan. I've had a Tour for a few months and I really like it, but I also liked my Curve and the other three Blackberries I've had (my previous ones haven't broken - my company keeps playing around with our corporate contracts).

Touch screens don't like me, so the iphone is out for me (for other reasons, too). Plus, AT&T blows where I live. On my drive home from work, there are 3 AT&T dead zones and 0 for Verizon.

My best friend had an iphone that she couldn't wait to get rid of. She had trouble typing on it ("You'll get used to it!" they told her. She never did.) and she hated that it didn't push her email to her (she got rid of hers over a year ago, so maybe this has changed).

I have a group of friends who LOVE their Palm Pres. They're like a fan club for Palm. Back in the stone age, I used a Palm Pilot and I really like the Palm interface.

And yet another good friend has a Droid and can't stop raving about it. This is a woman who had a crappy old phone before the Droid and said she didn't care about phones at all. Now she's a Droidaholic.

All the bells and whistles in the world lose their luster if there's no service, though, so make sure you choose a company that has good service in your area. For most of us, that seems to be Verizon, but YMMV.

5. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Go with the Pre. Love my Pixi, a smaller, crappier version of the Pre.

And I will never, ever use ATT again. I couldn't even send emails or surf the web when there were other people around. Any sporting event, concert in any city, midtown NYC during business hours, my phone was basically a brick.

6. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Tried a few of the 'Berry models yesterday. Not promising. Could not even figure out how the Palm Pre works because I am, I guess, a complete moron. The touchscreen keyboards and my big mitts mix poorly. The Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi. The Curve seems like the best option, though I may wait and see what the new B'berry Bold looks like. My daughter has a Droid and always sounds as if she is calling from the center of the earth. Don't like the phone aspect of the Droid. So, more Advil to ease the tendinitis as I ponder the next move. Thanks to all for your input.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My 3G iPhone battery died and I sent it out for a new battery and will wait for the 4G rather than get a 3GS iPhone.

Have had to go back to a Blackberry 8830 for about 3 days. Boy do I miss my iPhone. I'm not an apps junkie but they sure are nice and I miss the ability to move between them. The trackball is horrible, especially while a page is loading.

ATT service is not too bad. Yeah there are dropped calls but not a huge problem.

I get my iPhone back Mon., Yippeeeee!

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is Verizon getting the Bold?

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

So far, so good. Typing is fine, no problems. I'm still trying to figure everything out. I'd guess I'm using 1% of what this thing can do. I've spent most of my time downloading apps. I love SkyMap. I was spotting planets like crazy last night.

It's extremely fast & browsing the web is 1000 times better on this than on the BB.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I was looking at the Incredible, well on the internet and it looks alright. Do you use the same app store as the moto droid?

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I believe it is the same.

I spent some time here: http://www.appbrain.com/ before getting the phone. I added a bunch of apps to a list, synched the phone with my account & downloaded them all in one shot from the market.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, unfortunately. At least, not that I know of.
    That's my quandry. I want the Bold as the best piece of equipment, but I won't stay with ATT.
    I'm trying to determine the closest model to the Bold available on Verizon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted