1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Sox Scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

U. S. Supreme Court reversed that very decision . . . one of the many, many times the old lush was told, "Uh, uh, pally . . . wrong, again."

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Back to the question, would players be vulnerable to this today? Oh yes, they would. The make-too-much-money-argument doesn't wash. Not with the myriad examples of athletes stuck way in the hole -- in part because of gambling debts -- despite earning tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. Not saying it's probable, but it's not impossible.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

College athletes are definitely vulnerable. They don't get any money at all.

One reason, that I think, the Black Sox players were so vulnerable was that they had just won the Series two years earlier. I would think most athletes would rather win a championship than get some extra money. But once they've won one, the novelty has worn off, and they already can say that they've won one.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But what is the most a gambler could possibly promise an athlete?

In the 1919 example, the players were promised 2-3 times their salary.

For a top-level baseball player to see the same risk-reward, a gambler would have to offer tens of millions. Ain't happening. And it has to be a top-level player for it to have any chance of succeeding.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's what I was thinking, too. The guys involved in the fix were among the best players in the league at the time. In order to do that today, you'd have to get All-Star starter type players to be equal to that. Those guys make so much, the risk-reward isn't even close.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Being a relative of Eddie Cicotte, I have been engrossed in this since the day I was found out from my family. Actually, it got me interested in working in the sports media as a kid.
    EMO is a great book, same with the new book out, "Original Curse"...and it's a shame that I haven't seen a damn dime of that money that Eddie got for throwing Game 1! LOL :)

Draft saved Draft deleted