1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black? Play football at OSU? Wanna graduate? Good luck with that.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BullBoi, Dec 7, 2006.

1. I agree with that. I just think athletes need to take responsibility for their own education.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nice generalization.
    You should be very proud.

3. I am.
    And thank you for participating. Pick up your ribbon at the door.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Notre Dame cares. Nebraska cares. Penn State cares. I think the numbers bear that out, don't they?

5. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

The NCAA graduation report covers athletes who enter school in the academic years 1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99, and 1999-2000, with six years to graduate.

What year did Tressel become Ohio State's coach? And Urban Meyer became Florida's coach last year? I remember a 2003 report blasting USC, Oklahoma and LSU, and none of those schools' coaches were even involved with those programs during the time of the survey -- but that didn't keep people from suggesting the coaches were running shady programs that didn't care about their athletes.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Terrence,

You'll notice my post said John Cooper.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Alma, I wasn't referring to your post. In fact, I didn't even read it. I went straight from the Globe story to posting my comment.

Sorry if I created any confusion or ill will.

8. GFav44

GFav44 Member

Its interesting how the NCAA said they were going to crack down on the amount of student athletes not graduating. So, the smart guys at the NCAA decided to disallow redshirting on the DIVISION 3 LEVEL! The problem isnt that big on the D3 level, but it is on the D-1A level. Why did they not apply that rule all levels?

9. Did the professor know how to spell "syllabus"?

10. GFav44

GFav44 Member

Thats classic. I had a starting O-Lineman in two of my 300 level history classes and he would sit in the back, put his up against the wall and go to sleep. I laughed everytime I saw it.

11. I think the problem starts well before college, unfortunately. Say you grow up in an inner-city neighborhood and go to an inner-city school for your wholel life, then you all of a sudden go to a big university full of kids who went to suburban high schools that concentrate on college prep. That's not exactly a level playing field. Twelve years of poor education can't be solved with tutors.
    Colleges are PART of the problem, but the foundation of the problem starts so much earlier. It goes down to poorly funded school systems and the way star athletes are ushered through life from a very early age.
    I also don't buy the "OSU sends kids to NFL early" argument. I mean, football isn't like basketball. If two kids a year leave after three years - and that's a stretch since usually juniors have been at the school for four years - that's not too large of a number for a football team that has 80 or so kids. The numbers for a basketball team, on the other hand, are definitely skewed if two kids bolt early for the NBA.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Hey Fenian Bastard,

So cue me for mispelling a word. At least I finished the course. lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted