1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black? Play football at OSU? Wanna graduate? Good luck with that.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BullBoi, Dec 7, 2006.

1. I wouldn't have a big problem with that. They do get paid for their services already with a full-ride ($50,000-plus) but I know that's a small price for the revenue the athletic program rakes in with each home football game and bowl games, etc. But the minute you start talking about paying them, the hypocrite athletic department suddenly takes the moral high ground stance and says the integrity of the student-athlete should be preserved.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's not fair...

I'm sure some were marketing majors too.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Whoo ... Mr. Lib apparently believes African American athletes can't do their own schoolwork.

4. Whoo, Mr. Stupid's lips got tired at the end of a sentence again.
    Very few players who are good enough to jump early to the NFL -- or think they are -- is going to take his progress towards a degree very seriously, particularly within the context of a university that doesn't seem to take it seriously either.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not. I'm sure mr. lib thinks that athletes are \encouraged to do enough classwork to keep their eligibility -- then they're on their own when it runs out.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure that would have saved Maurice Clarett.

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

Virtually every major college program has academic centers and advisers and tutors. If a player doesn't leave school with a degree, that player

* has left school early.
    * is as dumb as a rock.
    * has no interest in obtaining a degree.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's paying them, and there's paying them to ride around in a tricked out SUV...
    Then there's Maurice "Inmate No. 2345247" Clarett

9. When did I ever talk about saving athletes like Maurice Clarett? My point is that big-time college football hasn't promoted academics for a long, long time, so why are we concerning ourselves with graduation rates?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because these are places of higher learning here. Because our tax dollars help pay the way for kids to compete at these schools. Because not everyone is going to play in the NFL.

That graphic showed that two BCS schools -- Notre Dame and Wake Forest -- do a damn good job making sure that the student-athletes keep pace in the classroom. Not everyone follows Ohio State, Texas or San Jose State with how to run their programs.

11. Some personal responsibility would go a long way. Athletes shouldn't need their hands held when it comes to going to class and learning. A lot of athletes are failing themselves. I played college baseball (not at the Division 1 level), carried a full load each semester, worked on the side at the local fishwrap and graduated in four years. Am I special? No. It's called getting your priorities straight. An athlete can party, have fun and get classwork done, too. To say an athlete needs all this special help is an insult to his or her intelligence.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I never said anything about special help. I just said some programs have their priorities straight, others don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted