1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday - Is this the worst day for print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In that case, enjoy your misery.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've never known you to use a throwaway line, so maybe you should explain why.

3. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

How quickly we're moving from one-week furloughs to two-week furloughs.

Are monthlong furloughs next?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com--The Internet's most popular gathering place for songs and supper plans.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Messr. William Dean Singleton III kindly requests that you stop looking behind the curtain. That's you, credit agencies. S&P downgrades MediaNews; MediaNews says, well fine then, just don't rate us.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2009/03/16/daily92.html

Worst day for print journalism? Maybe so far, but there will be competition. And blood. Lots of blood.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Shottie, I'm sorry, this isn't nearly as philosophical or existential or dramatic or any other word I can think of as it apparently seems.

Again, maybe the title of the thread is a bit much. But very simply, there's a lot going on in the business today, and I'd really appreciate having one place where I can stop and look for updates. Several places I've worked, and with a number of people I know, are getting news today. I'm not being morbid or interested in rubber-necking while driving by a car crash -- I just want to know what's going on, and where.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

As a Republican, my SportsJournalists.com time would be cut 99 percent. :D

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why would you want a one-stop shop type of thread for this type of stuff? I mean, there's nearly a dozen papers/companies that have laid off employees or whatever. For all that to be in one thread...it might be a pain to find exactly what you're looking for.

The way it is now....each paper or company with its own thread...seems a bit easier to navigate in my opinion. If I want to know what's going on with Gannett, I click on the Gannett thread. Presto!

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

What difference does it make if this is one one thread or a hundred threads?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well said.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What do you think this is, a message board??

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted