1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday in stock exchanges in Europe and Asia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Holy shit... I did that yesterday.

Just until one of my loans gets paid off in 15 months.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Either that or fuel for the fire to stay warm.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do we have a "high interest savings account" any more?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not really. I opened up one with ING in December at 2.47% yield, but now they're offering 1.65%. That was quick.

Still a hundred times higher than what I get with my bank savings account, though. So I'll take it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Put in a grand a 1.67% and in a year, you still dont have enough interest to pay for night at the bar to drown your sorrows for your 401k in the tank.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the dead cat to bounce so I can start plowing my cash into stocks. Looks like I may be waiting for a while.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Eventually, there will be a rally . . . one that actually lasts more than a couple of days . . . but it's highly-unlikely we'll see a parabolic bottom. They're damn rare.
    Any sustained rally figures to be followed by a test of the bottoms. Can't see there's a hurry to barge in, but it's your money.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

We have ING too. When my wife opened hers years ago, it was paying almost 4%.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Fed has fucked savers so bad - in their intent to protect failed banks and failed "homeowners", they have kept the interest rates at historic lows - basically nothing.... which fucks the responsible people, the ones trying to save.

That "high interest" account? After taxes, and inflation, you've lost money in that account..

You're doing a heck of a job, Benny.
    You're doing a heck of a job, Timmy.
    You did a heck of a job, Henry.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

More of a metaphor than anything else. People who say with certainty where the bottom is going to be are blowing smoke. But there will be a point where signs start to point upward, and the market will begin to reflect that. That's the point I'd like to get in. But who knows, it could be a year or two. I'm looking long, so if the market gyrates some, I won't sweat it.

Draft saved Draft deleted