1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is from a NYT story. Bolded emphasis mine:

A group called Concerned Student 1950, named for the year the university began admitting black students, has been staging demonstrations, including protests over the weekend. The group started a change.org petition calling for Mr. Wolfe’s resignation last week that had gathered more than 3,500 signatures by Sunday afternoon. The petition contained a letter addressed to Gov. Jay Nixon, the board of curators and Mr. Wolfe.

“We do not trust our education, our humanity, our safety, nor our lives in his hands,” students said in the letter. “Butler’s life is on the line and he’s made that clear. How can a man, Tim Wolfe, value his position over the life of a student? Positions can change, but if Butler’s life is lost, he can never return.”

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are probably plenty of people here who can tell me if I'm off base because I went to a rival school and haven't been to Columbia in years, but I get the feeling this has been building for a long time.

The Antlers have been as racist, sexist and homophobic as any group I can think of that's been allowed to function on a college campus. They were tolerated, chuckled at and embraced to varying degrees for decades until Michael Sam came out and the university realized it would be smart to reign them in.

Haven't there also been issues with fraternities and other groups in recent years? When you read the @BestFansStLouis twitter a lot of the racist comments come from profiles that also mention Mizzou.

Yeah, I'm a KU fan and make lots of jokes about Missouri, but let's be honest. The whole world has seen the issues in the St Louis area and a lot of rural areas in the state have a Deep South circa 1960 feel to them.

The state of Missouri has a lot of great things about it, not just the Royals ;), but it's not a shock if black students there have found it uncomfortable for a long time.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's some military-grade stupidity right there.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wow. That was powerful. The non black students at Missouri need to drop out and pay the tuition of all black students in America who went to attend the school. The faculty should each teach only one student at a time and upon graduation each student will be awarded not only a bachelors degree, but PhD.s in the course of study of the student's choosing. This should not be limited to 1 year, but for the next 75 years to make up for the racial injustice suffered by unknown millions.

Nonblack individuals should be denied higher education in !issouri for 7 generations. They should be removed from their homes to allow black families to move in. And until every black person in Missouri has a quality job, no non black can be employed

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Missouri's team made it clear that until Butler stops his hunger strike, the team won't practice. Butler's only going to stop his hunger strike if Wolfe steps down.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I saw that if the game isn't played Mizzou will still owe BYU $1 million. I'm guessing it would probably owe the Chiefs some money too?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wolfe should go on a hunger strike until Butler eats or dies

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's been there for a long time. Back in the prehistoric 1990s, when I was there, you saw similar tensions. I think part of the reason is that you had a tiny African-American minority, many from St. Louis and Kansas City, dropped right into a mostly white student body, who mainly hailed from the suburbs and/or rural Missouri. Race, class, the ingredients were all present. I suspect the same dynamics are still at work.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When is the last time anything got changed by a change.org petition? That's become the most vapid go-to for every news (and "news") story under the sun.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I suspect the kid will be declared mentally incompetent, and they force a feeding tube down his throat.

That should be fun.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He could be arrested and charged with FWB (Fasting While Black), then force-fed in jail.

BTExpress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted