1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Magic on ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackS, Mar 17, 2008.

1. JackS

JackS Member

No thread about this yet? Did anyone watch last night?

I think it dragged a little bit, making the same point over and over again, but I also think this is much better original programming than any of the dramatic presentations ESPN has done in recent years. I'll be watching again tonight.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I caught a little and thought it was very moving. Strong narration by Jackson.

I'll probably try to watch again tonight.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody else think Black Magic is a bad idea for the title of this series?

4. Lugnuts

how so?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can see that, in that "black magic" often has a negative connotation, but I think the play on words probably overwhelms that connotation. I don't have much of a problem with it.

6. Armchair_QB

Black Magic is normally a term you hear connected to voodoo or witchcraft.

7. Lugnuts

Wow I didn't even think of that. Reading up on the guy who did it... His other big film was something called 'Crazy Love'... looks really interesting.

8. Slash

Slash Member

I missed the first part. When does it play again? I scanned TiVo guide no luck.

9. I haven't seen it, but that's exactly what I thought when I first heard of it.

10. Armchair_QB

Glad I wasn't the only one.

11. Dignan

Dignan Guest

This was my reaction too. Awful title. Another in a long line of bad puns that are killing sports journalism these days.

12. Name discomfort aside, the first part of the doc had me entranced, like I couldn't move from the screen if I wanted to. As an HBCU grad and fan of all things Black College Sports, I learned some new things last night, and I look forward to watching the conclusion tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted