1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black History Month edition of "Wait, that was racist?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cornbread crumbled up in a glass of milk - preferably buttermilk - is one my favorite snacks. Just make sure the cornbread doesn't have actual kernels of corn in it.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Southern Living begs to differ ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they flew in food from Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, I'm guessing they'd be quickly forgiven.

4. doctorquant

When did fried chicken and cornbread (and watermelon for that matter) come to be seen as the quintessential African-American repast? Because this blue-eyed South Carolinian grew up on the stuff.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I thought it came from "Birth of a Nation," aka one of the most racist films in history. Or, the most racist scene, which involved newly elected black legislators trashing the place and eating fried chicken as they did it.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

About the watermelon, this makes as much sense as anything:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theodore-johnson/watermelon-african-americans_b_3069600.html

7. doctorquant

Hmmm, as good an explanation as any, I suppose. Re: BoaN, I had to watch that as part of a summer school course (on political novels/movies) in PoliSci many, many moons ago. The class started at 7:30 a.m., and the damn movie goes about 3 hours IIRC. And since it's silent, whoever had put together the VHS version of the damn thing had simply dubbed over a bunch of Vivaldi concerti that had absolutely no congruence with the movie (rather than an approximation of the score originally developed for it). A very, very weird experience.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Here you are ALL equally worthless.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One of reasons that The Little Rascals were considered racist was the episode
    where Stymie was rubbing the lamp saying "I wish I had a watermelon".

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I discovered Nashville-style hot chicken last summer. The one place I went, the medium made my mouth and lungs burn for like 24 hours. And they went to XXHot. I can't even imagine.

If I had anything resembling capital and initiative, I'd start a hot chicken place here. The restaurant that wins the best fried chicken in the reader polls every year is a local supermarket. It's not bad, but c'mon, the undisputed best? That's just poor.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ChiChi's makes a bagged cornbread mix where you use a can of creamed corned and butter. Its actually very good, more like corn spoon bread than a dry bread.

Kruteaz Honey Corn Bread is good for an instant out of box corn bread. Key is to always use whole milk and butter, not skim milk and margarine

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hattie B's Hot Chicken. Damn it's good. If we're not snowed in tomorrow, we might make a trip just for some hot chicken goodness.

Draft saved Draft deleted