1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday is out of control

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But any fights while waiting in-line for the stores to open, traffic jams in the area of the malls, and any incidents of road rage caused by overtired people driving to the mall at 1 or 2 a.m. is news.
    Fortunately I don't think any of those things (except for the traffic jams) happened near me.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Or with the sale going on at deepdiscountDVD.com you can get 3 or more DVDs that cheap.
    http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewcategory.htm?categoryId=492070&sortby=price&count=#listtop

3. Buck, thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot about eBay's little brother.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

considering that it's the start of a six-week period that will make or break many companies and impact their earnings for this quarter and for the year overall, i think most people would agree that it's newsworthy.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The key phrase in that last post is "six weeks." Today did not and never will accurately forecast the holiday retail season. But this shopping day has become something people do because lots of other people do it. We are a herd animal in many ways.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Went shopping with my mom two years ago. We got up a 3:30 and were out the door by 4.

Never. Again.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Zayre used to make a big deal of being open 24/not quite 7 on the entire Thanksgiving weekend, beginning on Wednesday. They went belly-up about 20 years ago.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Little kids believe in Santa.

Adults believe in "bargains galore on Black Friday!"

One of these myths is outgrown.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh, THAT stuff is all news, for sure. But at 90% of the papers I've seen, somebody would have to open up with an Uzi on a line at the front door at the area big boxes, killing dozens if not hundreds, before any even remotely discouraging word would see the light of day, as opposed to the endless happy-happy joy-joy kiss-ups to advertisers and free front-page advertising they get by the mile of column space.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some of the Best Buy employees by me said they had to be at work at 1 a.m.... THAT'S crazy

And yeah, between Target and BB, I made out like a bandit on DVD's... 10 for less than 50 bucks...

Draft saved Draft deleted