1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday is out of control

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting outside a Staples, hoping to land a cheap laptop, having been here an hour. Same laptop's actually even cheaper at Circuit City, but the line there was insane last night -- 100 deep at 9 p.m. on Thursday, with dozens of tents, people with freaking full-sized mattresses on the ground. Craziness.

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Says the guy sitting outside Staples at 4am.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Went home with nothing. Laptops are the first thing to go. Getting there at 4 a.m. didn't cut it.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I just kicked some Black Friday ass. Got what I needed, cheaply, and didn't wait in line long. I am a shopping ninja.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Even JCPenney, home of the annual Mickey Mouse snow globe, was insanely crazier than in years past. Last year, there might have been seven people at the door for a 5 a.m. opening. This year, for a 4 a.m. opening, there were almost 300. And my parents, living 700 miles away, reported the same thing.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You people are crazy.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm shopping as I type. Add in the time, the aggravation *** you didn't save as much as I did!

JR is right. You people are crazy.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Where's O'Reilly when you need him?

War on Christmas? Screw dat -- what we need is a war on Black Friday. I cringed yesterday every time I saw a Kohl's ("We're open at 4 a.m.!") add -- knowing that that meant thousands of Kohl's employees had that 2 a.m. wakeup alarm hanging over their head all day yesterday.

Black Friday is example No. 23,417 of how America's lost the plot in the 21st Century.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My wife is out in it, as usual.

She returned home for something.

"No laptop?"

"I can get one cheaper online, with more stuff, and don't have to wait in line for it."

Then, with the minivan engine humming, she departed again with a maniacal glint in her eye and thoughts of the mall.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love to shop (a lot) but I've never been shopping on Black Friday. Part of me wants to try it, but part of me has trouble getting out of bed when it's still dark out on a day I don't have to go to work.

The big outlet mall near my parents' opens at midnight on Black Friday and is open 'til 10 that night. 22 straight hours of Black Friday insanity. Those poor employees.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Not to be a scold, or to harsh anyone's Black Friday citizen-consumer buzz, but just to suggest a rational alternative to camping on the sidewalk overnight to buy another DVD player, or rising at 4am to get an additional 20% off a reindeer-themed sheet set, this:

For what a lot of us will spend today on sweaters, fondue sets and power tools, you could save the lives of a couple hundred children.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/news/malnutrition/index.cfm

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/donate/

Draft saved Draft deleted