1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday is coming, hooray, hooray!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 21, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If that's what you considered punked, then cool.

I suppose, yes, I could have run up front and yelled at the people being assholes. But since that would have involved me then, in turn, cutting in front of those who had been waiting longer than me, I chose not to.

Punked is me.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Haven't read this whole thread, but: I refuse to go into any stores. Ever. If I can't buy it online, I don't want it. Ever.

Today, you know some 21 yr old manager stands outside in the parking lot, grabs the first elderly man who looks like he has nothing to do but just had to get out of the house, and says to him, 'Wanna make $40 bucks today? Can you stand behind a register? No? We can get you a stool. Come on.'

fyi, the internet is teeming with Free Shipping offers today---so you pay no shipping, usually no tax, and you can stay in your pajamas watching Myra Breckinridge while you shop.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Myra fans in their pajamas won't be shopping ...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When Black Friday comes
    I'll stand down by the door
    And catch the gray men
    When they dive from the fourteenth floor

I think I'm gonna go dig Katy Lied out of the CD box. :)

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I wasn't going to go out today, however somebody told me that Hastings (which I despise) has my dad's Christmas present (Star Wars ep. 4-6 with the original and the updated movies) on sale cheaper than Amazon. Is it worth saving 2-3 bucks a DVD?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's just $2-3 you'll be putting back into your gas tank.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I assumed the lines began at the store...

Hundreds of early bird shoppers jammed the highways last night and early today in Mercer County (Western PA) for the "midnight madness" sale at the Prime Outlet shops in Grove City.

State police reported northbound traffic on Interstate 79 was backed up 10 miles at the exit to the outlet shops. The southbound exit was backed up for six miles.

The high volume traffic flow on I-79 even affected Interstate 80, which was lined with four miles of vehicles, mostly headed toward I-79 and the Prime Outlets exit.

Troopers said the backups began around 10 p.m. last night.

Really, the lead photo on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette website says it all.

http://www.postgazette.com/

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The extra special prices available in the Best Buy ad are available online. No Myra, but I was in my jammies and listening to music while finishing shopping for my wife.

My sister, meanwhile, spent 3 1/2 hours in line at a Circuit City.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061124/ap_on_hi_te/retailers_online_outages

Here's the world's smallest violin playing a sad tune for frustrated Wal-Hell online shoppers...

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not the item I wanted. None of the computers I looked at were online, it said 'Available in store only.'

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I was wondering how that turned out.

Here, they had the ambulance out just after 4:30 a.m. for the Best Buy crowd.

To the south, the Circuit City crowd milled around more peacefully.

Not too many f-tards in my area, but there were a few, mainly the Sea Hag who was waiting for a friend to arrive and had to stand between me and the doors.

The radio stations were there, too, including some female DJ with the unfortunate nickname of Touchdown.

Afterward, though, I had to forego IHOP since everyone else had the same idea. So instead, I went to Denny's.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I went out this morning around 5:30 a.m. just to see what it was like. After hearing all the stories about Black Friday, I was still shocked. I went out around 3:30 a.m. to get gas (couldn't sleep) and I was amazed by the number of people already in line at ToysRUs and Best Buy. My trip wasn't for nothing. I bought a couple of CDs and 5 DVDs and saved about $40 total. I was in line about an hour, but I was awake and I see Black Friday as something everyone should experience at least once. It was funny hearing everyone's stories, their plans of attack, etc.

It was OK, but I probably won't ever do it again.

BTW, all the stuff I got cheap was NOT available online. In-store only.

Draft saved Draft deleted