1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Dahlia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I suppose I should have did some research before I went and saw the movie, but it was a complete disapointment. rediculously slow and then the movie is very loosley based on the actual crime. The two main characters are even apparently completely fictional. I haven't been this disappointed in a movie in a long time. I was really looking forward to it after seeing a couple of TV specials on the actual Black Dahlia.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

All I know is "Hunter" did a two-parter on the Black Dahlia like 20 years ago. Yet another case of Hollywood being decades behind Fred Dryer.

3. You aren't alone. Several critics have panned it as well.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ooh! I loved that show! I'll try to catch the Dahlia ones on reruns.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

My wife really wanted to see this, and we were in line at the multiplex Friday when she noticed "Little Miss Sunshine" was still there. The perfect last-minute switch - LMS is the best movie we've seen so far this year.
    Soounds like "Hollywoodland" is the better LA noir movie, although Mrs. Terrier's toward anything involving Ben Affleck means I won't be seeing it until DVD time (although I did learn yesterday the lovely and luminous Molly Parker has some kind of role in it).

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'll pass along a tip here: Anytime there is a movie based on anything that happened in the vicinity of Hollywood and that movie receives very little fanfare or pre-release buzz, you can bet your ass that it sucks great big balls.

God, this was a terrible film. It was like sitting through a two-hour high school play. The story telling here made absolutely no sense, the acting was God awful and the camera work was some of the dumbest shit I've ever witnessed. What the hell were we doing watching 30 minutes worth of boxing? Just so they could work the names Mr. Ice and Mr. Fire into the script? It damn sure wasn't for any other reason.

And did the mother in this not remind anyone else of the drunk wife Molly Shannon played Talladega Nights? That doped-up woman was one of the best impressions of an impression that I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted