1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Black Christmas"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Apparently there is some outrage beginning to mobilize against the Dec. 25 release of this slasher film:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0612130086dec13,1,2423587.column?coll=chi-news-col

It's a remake, by the way, of a 1974 movie by the same name that came out on Dec. 20 and was directed by Bob Clarke, who later directed "A Christmas Story." The original "Black Christmas" is considered a very influential precursor to "Halloween" and the rest of the genre.

So is the release date and content exploitive? Insensitive? Going to get Bill O'Reilly pontificating for nights on end?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't like when it's released? Don't go see it.
    How simple can it be?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love how he digs up a 70s era review of Black Christmas. VERY intellectually dishonest.

My favorite movie, Once Upon A Time In The West, was panned by critics upon its release. So was The Wild Bunch. Both are now considered to be on the short list of the greatest westerns, if not the greatest movies ever made.

I've never seen the original, but I do know the original Black Christmas is one of the many movies that has received a critical re-appraisal since and has a cultish level of respect, at least among horror fans.

This reminds me of the silly protesting about Silent Night, Deadly Night when I was in 8th grade. Get a life people.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

THAT'S RACIS ... I think.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I once had a cassette by Rudy Ray Moore of "Dolemite" fame/infamy:

"This Ain't No White Christmas."

I don't recall any lines about "rat soup eatin' muthafucka(s)," but it had its moments.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. The first film in this series was banned for two weeks by protests:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part 5 stars Mickey Rooney as the drunken, crazed toymaker who makes killer toys!

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I thought this was a tread about F_B
    [​IMG]

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Coming in 2007, Idiot Christmas, starring Novelist Wannabe.

There's plenty of places on the board to decry the PC pile of bovine squeeze. Alas, this thread wasn't one of them. My apologies. Carry on ...

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's just you. I hope.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's an odd time to release it, but the previews look great...

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is this a film about someone who spends a lot of money on Christmas gifts yet still has money left over to avoid having a (In the) Red Christmas?

Draft saved Draft deleted