1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biweekly satellite TV for dummies buying guide thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Dec 15, 2006.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Had the eye of Hurricane Wilma pass over my house and never lost reception . . . until a few minutes after the backside of the eyewall tore the dish off its mountings.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I'd just like to second the fact that DirecTV's DVR blows. The interface is awful and the fast-forward and rewind are not at all precise. If you can find a DirecTV TiVo (Philips made one), don't think twice.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I've had DISH Network for 4 years now and swear by it. I have MLB Extra Innings and the ESPN college football/hoops PPV packages. Can't get Sunday Ticket, but I'd rather watch all the games at once at a sports bar anyway instead of one at a time.
    DISH customer service has always been great - had 2 boxes die on me and got a new one sent quickly and free, no questions asked.
    It's $5.99 for all the Fox regional cable networks (plus a couple Comcast and Sports New York, but no YES Network). And as was said, pro games are blacked out and can be tricky (i'm halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta, and I have Hurricanes NHL games and Thrashers NHL, but Hawks NBA games are blacked out... maybe that's a good thing).
    We just got a DVR through DISH that's $10.99 total a month, and we love it. It's not as interactive as TIVO but it's great. We got the single-input, which means you can only record/watch one thing at a time, but you can watch recorded stuff while you record something else. It didn't require any burying of cables or a phone line, but you might need one for a dual-input DVR. You'd have to ask about that.
    I'd highly recommend DISH...

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They're giving one away with new installs through the end of the year. I can put up with a fair amount of aggravation at that price point.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

TigerVols mentioned something about a media discount a couple of years ago. You might wanna reach out to him to see what the 411 was on that...

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Technically I don't qualify right now, although that may (hopefully) change this week.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I called them about that a year or so ago.

They gave me the name of some woman to talk to.

I called her a half-dozen times. Was never at her desk. Never returned my calls.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Just got the DTV HD DVR 3 weeks ago.
    It freezes up once in a while but it's nice being able to record programs in HD.

Draft saved Draft deleted