1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin's Creator Revealed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know. I was having fun.

But she is old enough to know better, and still young enough to be tech savvy.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And, YF, not to start a shit storm here, but are you surprised to see her being personally offended when mainstream journalism is questioned?

Look at the history of this board when it occurs, starting with your questioning of the Caleb Hannan piece and reporting on Trayvon Martin.

The standard defense is (Creosote excepted), "Coffee man!!!ELEVENTY111"

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Solid, factual reporting and editing are the best defense against any kind of attack you can fathom, in any era.

4. Dick Whitman

Check out her Web site.

She has a tab called "Haters," in which she quotes from negative reviews of her work. Some of the criticisms, at least on the surface, seem perfectly reasonable.

The woman definitely has a chip on her shoulder about being questioned.

5. YankeeFan

I'd be happy to let others start a thread like this, so my role as critic wasn't an issue, but I'm not sure it would have been started. And, while it's interesting to be, and many others on the web, it's surprisingly uninteresting to the vast majority of posters here, based on the few members who have commented.

I don't get that. It's your industry. It's sort of scandalous and gossipy. Why the disinterest?

6. Dick Whitman

Because of the subject matter.

If she had botched a sports or politics or crime story, it would be a big deal here.

It's a tech/business story.

7. MisterCreosote

A bunch of completely out-of-context quotes with no source material to refer to, mixed in with random venom-spewing anonymous idiot Internet postings?

That's a nice, subtle attempt to dismiss legitimate criticism, among other things. Sounds like she likes playing the misunderstood victim.

8. MisterCreosote

Often, it has more to do with the way you go about it than the fact that it's you doing it.

9. YankeeFan

I almost hate to compare this to the Caleb Hannan story, but I think it is relevant.

Both stories were real life detective stories, in which the real star of the piece was not the subject, but the detective.

Too often, the problems with journalism start when the author falls in love with the story, and/or wants to be the star of the piece.

If you want a great story, either find one, or write fiction. Don't try to make the facts fit your story.

10. YankeeFan

That often has to do with the fact that people want to pretend journalism and/or ethics mistakes aren't a big deal.

11. MisterCreosote

I would've argued with you before we had an entire thread here on which I was attacked for suggesting editors are necessary and that readers care if facts are wrong.

12. YankeeFan

She's much more fun than Caleb Hannan.

Pushing back now against the NY Times: https://twitter.com/truth_eater/status/443490345561911296

Draft saved Draft deleted