1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birthday discrimination

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It couldn't hurt.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Here's who you write to:

-- Every City Councilor.
    -- Mayor.
    -- Governor.
    -- State commission on civil rights (presuming one exists in your state).
    -- State representatives/senators in whose district that business resides.
    -- Federal representatives/senators in whose district that business resides.
    -- State/district attorney's office.

Someone will flock to it like poop on a pig.

And Ross, y'all did the right thing. Amazing that this happens still in 2008.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I kid, of course.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

There is a columnist for the Seattle P-I who writes from time to time about racial issues, I wonder if he would be interested in hearing my story.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Entirely possible.

I thought of this too: If you possibly can, see if you can document it happening again. Obviously, you can't go back with the same group of people as last time, but maybe you know some other folks who go as well. Get 'em to take a camera -- video if possible, but a still camera would probably work as well -- and take pictures/video outside of everyone (preferably some will meet the "dress code" and some won't), then of the people they let in and, assuming they pull their act again, your friend (or another minority friend) standing outside.

Otherwise, it's going to be a little bit difficult to actually prove something happened.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The Parlor in Bellevue, Wash.? Not surprised in the least. And yeah, get in contact with Jamieson at the P-I.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Several people mentioned the dress code issues on citysearch. Some mentioned the discrimination among members of their own party. Another site of reviews also had someone mentioning racial discrimination. It's terrible that something like that happened in this day and age.

Edit: It's terrible that it's ever happened, but surprising to hear it still happens in some places.

Draft saved Draft deleted