1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birthday dinner at Ruth's Chris

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, May 24, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We trekked over to Huntsville, Ala., on Friday night, stayed at the Embassy Suites and ate at the restaurant conveniently located in the lobby ... Ruth's Chris. It had been years since I had eaten at one – in Houston, as I recall, when I wore a younger man's clothes – and my wife had not.

I was very favorably impressed ... as I hoped I would be, in a joint where the entrees generally start about 30 bucks.

We started with a glass of real bubbly and a shrimp cocktail – old school.

The chopped salads were fantastic, the entrees (petite filet for her, cajun salmon for me) were fine – by no means the best I've ever had, but very good. We had (sinful) mashed potatoes and sauteed mushrooms with a reasonable bottle of pinot the server recommended.

As my wife was involved, creme brulee was the dessert.

An all-around good experience. And we didn't have to drive.

2. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Love, love, LOVE their creme brulee.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The mashed potatoes are amazing.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Never ate there, but always wanted to. Sounds great.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Excellent food .. when someone else is paying. There's two locations here where I live.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was at a Ruth's Chris for a big media function earlier this week. It was a fixed menu, the entree choices were filet, ribeye, pork chops or fish. I sat next to the main p.r. person for the sponsoring company. The owner of the company likes things to move along at a quick clip, but this dinner ground to a halt after the salad as we waited and waited for the entrees. The head server for the room came over the p.r. person next to me and whispered "we can't bring out the dinner yet because two people in here ordered pork chops well-done. Those take a very long time!" The p.r. gal was pissed, asking me "off this menu, who the f*ck orders pork chops to begin with and who orders pork well done??" Pretty funny.

Personally, I'll never stray from their filet. Always flawless.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

What makes their mashed potatoes sinful? Loads of butter?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

What difference does it make, CI? You'd just destroy them with ketchup.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Not on mashed potatoes. That seems gross.

Ketchup for me: Hamburgers, hot dogs and fries -- not much else.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Happy birthday.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:eek:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ruth's Chris is McDonald's for the expense card crowd.

Sorry, but if I'm paying say, $200 plus for two I want something other than steak, mashed potatoes, mushrooms and creme brule.

That's just plain boring.

My rule of thumb when I go out for dinner is simple. I want something I can't make in my kitchen.

Something like this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080523.wlbeard23/BNStory/lifeFoodWine/home

A pig's eyeball tastes uncannily of boiled beef, perhaps with an overtone of veal kidney. It is not at all chewy or tough. Quite the contrary. It yields to the tongue like properly braised short-rib flesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted