1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham News: Tuberville out at Auburn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was about to ask if Nutt was the longest tenured active coach in the SEC if you combined his Arkansas and Ole Miss years but I guess Spurrier would be the guy if you added his UF & USC time.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah. And Saban would be the guy in the SEC West if you added his time at LSU.

EDIT: Oops. Meant to say he'd be second behind Nutt.

My bad.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And if you go by consecutive years in one job, it's now Mark Richt, who has been at Georgia since way back in 2001.

4. Steak Snabler

Incorrect. Nutt started at Arkansas in 1998.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the heck is up with some of these schools.

I really wonder - who does Auburn think they are going to get better than Tuberville?

Some of these schools are run by dumbasses, I swear

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And right now, at this very moment, someone in College Station is thinking..."how much would it cost to buy out Mike Sherman?"

7. Johnny Dangerously

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I was following up what he said about Nutt and meant to say Saban would be second, behind Nutt, in the West.

8. Johnny Dangerously

I hear you. I feel the same way. I said yesterday it's like Skip Bertman's philosophy about making a pitching change: You do it if the guy in the bullpen at that moment is better than the guy on the mound at that moment. If not, leave the guy in.

These schools run off good coaches, and then they end up ... with ... whomever they can get. And often, it's not as good as what they just ran off.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As much as I loathe Saban, I would love to see him stick up Aubie's ass every year until Lowder's head explodes.

Of course, it would be nice to have it happen to baby bear too...

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And end up paying millions to coaches who are no longer coaching for them -- and for what? Some of these firings that are so frustrating are are the ones where a guy like Tuberville or Bowden is fired and then the school spends days and days trying to hire someone and ends up with, oh I don't know, Bill Callahan?

11. Steak Snabler

Fixed.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The thing is, any program in America would be lucky to have Tuberville, and most couldn't do any better than him. His teams would occasionally lose a game they shouldn't have lost, but he's undeniably one of the best big-game coaches in college football.

He was UNDEFEATED three seasons ago.

This is just ridiculous. Who would take this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted