1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham News: Tuberville out at Auburn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 3, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'd take it over the SEC any day of the week.

As for the Tuberville, all I can think about is the ridiculously short attention span being shown here.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Keep an eye on Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson. Just sayin' ...

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I said the SEC is the best. I stand by that the SEC is the best. Maybe not this year, but year in and year out, it's not even close. In basketball this is also true, subbing Big East for SEC.

But back to the humping cousins thing ... if my cousins looked like some of the young ladies I've seen down there, it'd be a consideration.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, he passed on so many jobs while at Navy, I find it hard to believe he would leave the first chance he got after one season with GaTech.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

According to a friend of mine, who's a sideline coach at Auburn, Franklin deserved to be fired for his sideline antics, refusal to curb his temper and, apparently, telling Tuberville he wasn't going to change.

As for the thread topic, as much as I hate Auburn this was a D.U.M.B. move.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

How bad would Auburn, and Tuberville, look to get rid of Mr. Spread Tony Franklin ... and then hire another spread guy in Leach?

At least if Auburn gets Leach, Leach has a QB who knows the spread system (Chris Todd, who transferred to Auburn from Tech).

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But didn't Todd leave because he lost out to Harrell? And Todd didn't look all that great this season.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Athletes who didn't fit the system and other assistants who wouldn't sell it and didn't know how to run it... most quarterbacks wouldn't have looked that great in that situation

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doesn't Petrino's contract have a "No SEC West teams" clause in it?

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Todd DID leave because he lost out to Harrell. With the way Harrell has played the last two years, would Todd have been better served on the bench? I don't think so.

Todd has had some back luck.

-- Picks a pass-happy school, but gets beat out by a Heisman contender (doubt Harrell will win, but I guess he's one of the top guys).

-- Goes to a pass-happy JUCO, only to have the JUCO coach leave after he signs and the new coach wants to be a run-oriented team.

-- Verbals with pass-happy Troy because Franklin's there. Follows Franklin to Auburn and Franklin gets canned.

I don't think Todd has forgotten how to play quarterback, but Auburn expected to quickly pick up the spread offense with a bunch of running backs and no proven receiver.

At least if Leach takes over, he'll WANT the spread to work. I'm not sure Tuberville really did (and when it didn't, blamed it on Franklin).

If Leach gets hired, he'll be smart enough to make sure more than one assistant understands the spread. The only spread guy Tuberville had was Franklin, and Franklin got booted.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nick Saban weighs in ...

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/saban-rips-auburn-administrators/

He makes some valid points, but (ironically) ignores the biggest factor at play here — with the money that coaches make these days, no one has any tolerance for losing, particularly when you've been at a place for 10 years.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That was a frank conversation. And he didn't deny interest in the Auburn job.

Draft saved Draft deleted