1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Wagner HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 16, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

So what's your excuse for starting a HOF thread about Billy fuckin Wagner then?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because that's all he can do, BYH

3. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

FUCK. NO. That is all.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hoffman was a damn good pitcher for a long time. While saves are a flawed statistic, it is ta closer's job to pile them up. Hoffman didn't just do that by hanging around forever. He was a dominant reliever in his prime.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

tMaybe Ilmago can consolidate all these threads into "Guys I Think Might be in the HOF Runnning hread" instead of starting a new one for every guy that pops into his head.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No way he deserves to be in over Steve Bedrosian.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe not first or second ballot, but if you're going to deny the guy who is fifth all-time in saves, why have a Hall of Fame?

For the last 35 years, closer has been one of the most important roles on any team that wins. If you're going to deny Wagner, then there needs to be a program developed in which current members can be voted out because they're obviously not qualified, either.

Wagner was a top closer for a good while and even more in his favor is the fact that not once but twice he came back from elbow surgery (one for the flexor tendon, one for Tommy John surgery) and returned to full effectiveness. Fifth all-time in any other category and a guy is a shoo-in.

The game has changed a lot over the years. Anyone who would ignore the importance of the closer's role doesn't know jack about baseball.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure first all-time in saves is a shoo-in, though I think Hoffman will eventually get in. I doubt John Franco or Lee Smith are getting in and they are both ahead of Wagner in saves.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Orosco doesn't have the 1987 Cy Young collecting dust on his mantle, that's for fucking sure.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dooley Womack will get in before Wagner

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's why voters need to re-examine their thinking. If they keep their minds in the 1960s and don't want to put any relievers in, then I guess there should never again be a pitcher in the Hall, because today's starters certainly don't stack up to yesteryear's starters from the days of four-man rotations and complete games.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I know what the blue font means, but what does the ghostly red font mean?

Anyhoo, Wagner did have just as good a spring as I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted