1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Powell Skynyrd ketboardist dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2009.

1. a gifted musician

sad to hear this

2. Everyone thinks they were this raging ultraconservative, racist, Deep South redneck ensemble. Meanwhile, they're singing songs like "Things Goin' On" with lines like "Have you ever been down to the ghetto? Have you ever heard that cold wind blow?" and "Curtis Lowe."

It's a shame that people can't get past their southern stigmas to give the genre a chance. These guys were hard-working virtuosos. It kills me - absolutely kills me - that a buffoon like Jim Morrison graces the walls of every college dorm room in America while all kids know about Skynyrd is "Free Bird!!"

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've spent a lifetime underappreciating Wet Willie.

5. Yes.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Billy Powell is all over One More From The Road, one of the great live albums ever made.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not only survived, but, bloody and banged up, got up in front of the media the next day to talk about it. Amazing courage.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Great album eerie cover given the circumstances

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Powell at far right.

10. Boom_70

If only they had moved away from the plane instead of posing for the picture

11. They actually Photoshopped the flames out of the original cover because of the crash, and it was released with the band standing in front of a plain black background. I don't think the flames saw the light of day for another couple of decades or so, when the album was reissued.

12. Boom_70

I don't think photoshop was even invented when that was done. I have both versions In my "album" collection

Draft saved Draft deleted