1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Packer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 5, 2008.

1. WANTS YOU TO GET THE BALL TO KEVIN LOVE.

Because Kevin Love NEEDS THE BALL.

The ball NEEDS TO BE INSIDE.

With KEVIN LOVE.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

they want to get a timeout here.
    gotta call a timeout here.
    timeout, ___________.
    need a timeout here.

3. king cranium maximus IV

want to steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal some minutes.
    need to steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal some minutes here.
    gotta steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal some minutes.

4. You know, he made that three, but that's NOT what he should have been doing. If he was an intelligent basketball player, that three would NEVER have been taken.

5. king cranium maximus IV

hey jim nantz, you know what random game in 1974 this reminds me of? well, wikipe...er, my memory says that...

6. Packer: "Reminds me of the 1991 semifinal Jim. Duke needed to get the ball to Laettner in order to beat UNLV."

Nantz: "One of those great performances by Laettner, which he became famous for."

Packer: "Just like the shot to beat Connecticut, which came just days after Connecticut had won on a last second shot by Tate George."

Nantz: "Laettner, always good at closing teams out."

Packer: "Just like the game against Kentucky in the regional finals in '92 in Philly."

Nantz: "Another great one, Billy."

Packer: "But not as great as the '73 ACC final with Maryland and N.C. State going head to head."

Nantz: "Yes, another great game from the past."

Packer: "Great like all the ACC games I played in before black guys were allowed to play in the league."

Nantz: "Wish I could have been covering back in those days, Billy."

Packer: "Yes, great games like the one at the Y in Springfield back when Dr. Naismith invented the game. The
    locals needed to get the ball inside that night. And they needed to either get a timeout or steal some minutes when the ball was being retrieved from the peach basket."

Nantz: "All true, Billy. But what does UCLA need to do to get back in this one."

Packer: "I'm telling you Jim, they need to get the ball inside to Love. It's a lot like Duke needing to get the ball to Christian Laettner back in the 1991 national semifinals against UNLV."

7. I just don't understand why he's there. Some people like Al Michaels, some don't; some like Gus Johnson, some don't; Raftery, Aikman, whomever. But...I have never met one person who likes Billy Packer.

Maybe my personal sample under-represents the crotchety-68-year-old-man demographic in which his approval rating is highest, but still.

8. PS: Vonnegut, good work there.

9. What has two thumbs and hates Billy Packer?

THIS GUY!

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Packer identifies Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (note the location of hyphen) as "Jabbar."

That's enough for me to think he's an idiot. The rest is just further justification for my opinion.

11. This is how much I dislike him: if I was sitting at the bar, and he was beside me with his buddy James Nantz from work at the investment bank, talking loudly about the game, I would go sit somewhere else.

12. I can't believe I have to now listen to him announce ANOTHER game!

(K, I'm done.)

Draft saved Draft deleted