1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Mays dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moondoggy, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Billy Mays: "Hi, Billy Mays here!"
    St. Peter: "We already know that."

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Really talented? Huh?

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

OK, I laughed hard at that one. Well-played, Small.

Billy Mays was quite remarkable and enviable in the manner that he had the same kind of job as the late Don "In a world. . . " LaFontaine had: people seek you out, shower you with money, you show up, lend your voice and persona, then head back to the good life.

CNBC did a one-hour special on infomercials. One of the segments was on Mays, who said that companies sought him out, knowing his voice and on-the-line persona was the key to their product's legitimacy. If Billy Mays pitched you, well, there must be something there.

RIP.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always felt the sign of a good salesman is one who knows that you know he's giving you the hard sell, and still makes the sale.
    If Mays wasn't moving product, why else would so many different products use him? I mean everything from cleaning products to wood crafting tools to ESPN360.com - that my friend is called range. It's not like he's a noted expert in cleaning, woodworking or online video.
    Ron Popiell is the same way - I mean the guy made millions selling items that were punchlines for the late night comics.

I'm surprised some of the financial companies didn't start using Mays instead of those crusty old grey-haired guys talking about trust.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm gonna go out and buy a big 'ol bucket of oxiclean.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

He was getting his tongue bit off by a hooker!

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

he's not the first to die from oxy's...and won't be the last.

RIP Mr. Mays

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Did he die from the bump on the head during the rough landing last night or was he free-basing Oxiclean? :D

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

When the younger princess found out, she said, "He's the oxiclean guy."

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Please, New York Post, don't use this headline:

BILLY MAYS GOES KABOOM!
    King of Infomercials dead at 50

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

On the contrary -- please, please do.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FWIW, the Ronco Veg-O-Matic is actually a very handy gadget that works very well. My grandmother gave us one and we used it all the time to make fries and stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted