1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bills' Kevin Everett in surgery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 9, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was in packed sports bar watching the game today and it went completely quiet as he was worked on.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dont even want to think it

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Someone said dislocated neck.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Awful. Hoping for the best . . .

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

So sad... frightening to see.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Spinal cord injuries may take awhile to determine what he final outcome as to function might be, depending upon the injury and surgery. Fractures of the vertebrae (the bones) can be displaced or nondisplaced (dislocated) and that may determine how much room in the spinal canal exists for the spinal cord. The less room, the more chance of the sord to be pinched or have room to swell. Verterbal bodies can also burst, with pieces of bone entering and damaging the cord.

In spinal cord injuries, the porgnosis and progress is measured in how many levels of function are saved or recovered. If the injury is above the 4th cervical vertebra, breathing becomes difficult, because that is the level from where nerves that ennervate the breathing muscles arise. At the level of C5 and T1 (between the 7th cervical vertebra and the 1st thoracic) all function in the arms is maintained, so each level up or down will decide shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand function.

Neck injuries are never good and emergency surgery is not necessarily a positive step. A terrible injury and I hope Mr. Everett beats the odds.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

One neck injury is too many, but it nevertheless amazes me how few serious ones there have been in both the NFL and college overall, especially considering how big and fast the players have become over the years.

One of the things that has always stuck with me from covering an NFL locker room is the big sign each one has near the door that says SEE WHAT YOU HIT. I guess that's one of the big keys to staying safe.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Very good stuff, as usual doc. There was a report that there were some bone chips removed. I would suspect that is not a good sign?

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I hope this kid will regain some function. I can't even imagine a life like that.

Prayers.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

One of my best friends has been a quadriplegic for almost 30 years.
    He's got one of the best attitudes you'll ever see.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Any type of movement after an injury like this is a positive. Hold a good thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted