1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Snyder; Next Coach at KSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't forget your power towel, Oz.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bring it to every game, Bubbler.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

There aren't enough words to describe how poor of a decision this is.

This is what I'm hoping happens. He hires someone to be his DC (Phil Bennett, anyone?), train him up and step aside after 2-3 years. (Yes, I know he has a five-year deal but so does our athletic director, and I'd LOVE to see that last after the clusterfuck this football season has been.)

Yeah, we still beat them Saturday with...what we have. Which might be the equivalent to nothing.

Here's me hoping that Snyder comes into town with a crack group of assistants, a AWESOME defensive coordinator, tells Freeman to go sit on the bench until he can get his finger out of his ass and quit sucking and restore the program back to at least in the top half of the Big 12.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

K-State is going to have reclaim the in-state recruiting battles if it wants to return to glory days. Of the top eight Kansas prospects on Rivals.com, four are going to KU, two to Oklahoma, one to Miami and one uncommitted. Nos. 8-15 on the list are still uncommitted.

Snyder built K-State on in-state players like Darren Sproles (Olathe North), Terence Newman (Salina Central), Jordy Nelson (Riley County), the Meier brothers (Pittsburg). etc. The fact that they're missing on four-star players like Chris Harper (Wichita Northwest), who actually saw time as a freshman at Oregon this season, and Jake Sharp (Salina Central) is probably far more troublesome at the moment than missing on five-star players like the Brown brothers, who chose the Hurricanes.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You also forgot Ian Campbell, who has been a steady force on the defense the last three years from Cimarron.

Agreed, but I also don't think we're doing enough recruiting from Texas either. And whoever knocked the JuCo recruiting, it works. Short-term prospects but it's less of a jump than for most of the direct from high school kids who would have spent two years getting used to college anyway. Whatever happened to all of our recruits coming out of the Texas jucos? There is great football to be had, but unfortunately, the resurgence of Texas Tech is only going to make it that much harder to recruit in Texas.

I do think one positive of Snyder coming back is his name is recognizable and that might make recruiting easier. I just feel like Prince has some talent on the team (I've been impressed by what I've heard about Brandon Banks) but he's just not a good enough coach and he doesn't quite have the schemes down good enough to make it work, especially on defense.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought that Bill Snyder might be doing little more than what Tom Osborne did when Nebraska fired Bill Callahan?

Sure, the theory's out there - look at the source - but even Snyder has to realize he's not a long-term answer. Bash away at this one ...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now, that's funny...

8. Mizzougrad96

Well, at least nobody has to wonder anymore about which coach is the biggest asshole in college football.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A king-sized asshole, and nobody ever talks about it.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can't believe I forgot about Campbell, I actually covered him during his Cimarron days. But yeah, that's the key. Forgot recruiting Texas for now, if they don't start winning recruits from within state borders, getting those Texas kids will be a tougher sell.

11. Mizzougrad96

He may be the least media friendly coach in college football history.

I remember back in the day on the Big 8 teleconferences when all of the questions for Snyder would come from KSU beat writers. I used to get pissed because that's when the rest of the writers from around the conference were supposed to be able to get him. I asked one of the writers about it and he essentially said, that's just about the only time we can get him.

If memory serves, it was rare that he would last on the phone during his allotted time.

He makes Saban or Weis look like Leach.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I honestly wonder how KSU fans will react next year if Snyder fails to beat Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. Missouri and Nebraska are sure losses. Losing to Kansas again? That's ultimately why they fired the Little Red Corvette.

Draft saved Draft deleted