1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' typing skills

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John Drama, Jun 4, 2010.

1. John Drama

John Drama New Member

I know there's plenty of hate for the Sports Guy around these parts but I generally appreciate what he's accomplished. That being said, he revealed during his live-blog of game 1 of the NBA finals that he uses the two-finger typing method. Does anyone find that as shocking as I do?

I have a hard time believing that any professional writer under the age of 50, let alone one that writes overly lengthy pieces and a few books, types with only two fingers. I'm shocked that he's put out the volume of work that he has while using such an inefficient method. This is 2010 and he's supposed to be Mr. Online guy and he types with two fingers? Maybe it's a generational thing but that seems unfathomable to me.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I type with just two fingers and I do just fine. Better words/minute than people who type normally. Just the way I've always typed and never bothered to change it because it's never been an issue.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And it matters how he types because?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's impressive to hunt and peck with two fingers while your head is up your ass.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I type with my index fingers and my right thumb, and my speed is just fine, I think. Probably about 60-70 wpm. What I cannot do is look away from my keyboard and type.

I even took typing in high school, but the home row does not work with the way my brain is wired.

6. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

There's a guy in my office younger than simmons who does and he's really fast too. Loud as hell when he types but it works.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

We have two guys in our office who type that way. One is in his 40s and the other is 30, maybe younger. It's stunning to watch, but they're both fast. They got that muscle memory down

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I type like this. I can bang out 60-70 a minute doing it, too.

Two index fingers and the right thumb to hit the space bar.

9. smithsonryan

smithsonryan New Member

I honestly thought i was the only person to do two index fingers and a thumb to type. Bad habit though. Admittedly, I make a lot of mistakes.

/had to correct two just there
    /no carpal tho

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One of the fastest writers I knew (an old timer) was a two-fingerer.

I wonder if we will see more of this as I assume most kids grow up just going at it on a keyboard instead of taking typing classes in school.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Blackberry don't no know home row.

12. Quick question about Bill Simmons:

Why does he live and work in LA? Didn't ESPN have him move out there? Which makes me think it was work-related. But in reality, he writes about the Boston-area sports scene from 3,000 miles away.

Perhaps the initial thought was that Simmons would be a sort of general columnist for the West Coast?

Just curious. You'd think he could crank out mailbags and running diaries from Boston, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted