1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons: TV basketball analyst? Oh boy...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jan 21, 2007.

1. I hate the Sklar Brothers because they traduced the memory of MST3000, the greatest television show of the past 30 years.
    And not to add one more cudgel to Rok's bag here but exactly how many columns has Simmons written on COLLEGE basketball in his life? And those about gambling on the tournament don't count. College BB has been ESPN's signature product from the moment it went on the air, and it may be the only excuse for the existence of ESPNU, and this is where they try him out?
    Says something, I think.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Don't you think he really will be preparing for this, and just acts like he won't be, so if he doesn't do well he can say he didn't prepare? I see him as the type of guy that takes himself very seriously and is insecure about how he's perceived (especially by others in the media) so he'll make sure he's prepared. It's like the kid in school who says he didn't study for a test so he sounds cool, but in reality he studied for two hours the night before. Not saying Simmons will do good because he has prepared, but I do think he will be preparing, regardless of what he's saying.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As one of Simmons' critics, l have nothing but admiration and congratulations for him making this move. Simmons is using the opportunity created by his success to take a risk and try something new, an endeavor that as has been noted in this thread, is very easy to do very poorly at.
    This is to Bill's complete credit. I have no idea if he'll be any good at live in-game commentary, but he's surely earned the right for the rest of us to judge his effort with an open mind.

4. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

RokSki: Your passion on this topic is admirable.....and very, very disturbing.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

John Clayton doesn't present himself as an authority on hot chicks.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweep the leg! SWEEP THE LEG!!!

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Amen. ;)

I finally figured out who Simmons looks like. You remember (I'm not sure if they're still around) those little "Draw this picture and see if you get picked to attend this art institute" ads in magazines?

Well, Simmons and his little peanut head looks just like "Tippy the Turtle" from those ads. Tippy the Simmons.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As far as this goes, I think he's going at this full force preparation-wise. The reason he's doing this, as was surmised in either a recent column or chat or whatever, is that he wants to write a column about the experience of being a color analyst. As someone commented before, it seems like something most people could do, but I doubt that's the case.

I think it could make for interesting viewing, and an even more intersting column.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I agree, GBH. I think many of his comments are to downplay expectations, Kornheiser-MNF style. It's a wise, if disingenuous, move on Tippy's part.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Simmons at least knows something about basketball. He clearly had no clue how to be a radio host. That was pathetic. I heard a show, had no idea who was hosting and was stunned ESPN had put someone so obviously inept on their air. I thought maybe a host had gotten sick and a producer was having to fill time or something. When I heard Bill say his name, I was amazed. He has to be better on basketball, if only because he's talking about something specific and not mumbling aimlessly.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great post, Rufino. Totally agree, on all fronts.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Actually, yes, his look DOES hurt him.

And I always find that when you cut through everything, he's the master of the obvious. A lot of "it remains to be seen" kind of stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted