1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons smites Scoop about the head...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you saying blame the man?

If the rappers feel that the record companies are asking them to do something wrong why take the job. Forgo the money for principle.

If I offered you a million dollars a year to work as a topless dancer at my club would you take the job for the money or would you turn it down because it goes against your values?

2. Jesus, Boom. does moral responsibility stop for you on the executive elevator? Of course, the (mostly white) executives bear some responsibility for the crisis that you say exists, just as the (mostly white) bankers who salted away the drug money bore responsibility for their part in the crack epidemic. Seems like "personal responsibility" always seems to break and fall back a little short of rich white people.

3. Boom_70

Jemele - If you look at work force demographics you would see that there will be plenty of opportunity for you black men - if they are properly prepared.

Between now and 2012 - 35 million people will leave the work force and need to be replaced.

Between 2010 and 2030 the american work force will shrink by 10%

There are already lots of skilled jobs that are going unfilled. The competition for jobs will not be based on white or black. It will be based on who is most prepared.

My point is that there will be jobs available for those with the proper education.

4. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Fenian - Outstanding comment.

It's not about blame, it's about responsibility. While it's fine to chide the little people about what they're doing wrong and tell them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps, what responsibility is corporate America willing to take for making money off their misfortune? Like I said, rappers don't distribute themselves. Many of them are just label-concoctions meant to play on the worst stereotypes. Real hip-hop artists like Common, Mos Def, etc., talk openly about how their music has been shunned by radio and other labels because they do not reinforce negative stereotypes and they actually make music that makes you think. We all know thinking is not encouraged in the music industry.

And Boom, I understand your point about the workforce (although, for your argument, I'd also add the impact of the growing Latino population). My point remains. From a competition standpoint, there are certain entities that don't mind the continued inner-city blight.

5. Boom_70

As baby boom generation retires there will be a work force shortage that will be filled by a multi cultural group. Corporate America understands this clearly.

The jobs will be there and people will be hired based on education and not on race.

6. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Cousin Jeffrey - This is the wrong thread to debate this but your little generalisation about English soccer couldn't be more glib and dated if you tried. Try reading about incidents at football matches in Spain and Italy very recently before hanging your coat on the very old Eglish fans are the games pariah peg.

Perhaps you should join the French Police where your view would be welcomed with open arms as they tear gas innocent Manchester United fans inside a stadium.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

One year later, Whitlock enjoys ASW in New Orleans:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/494371.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/492203.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/492203.html

Also, some good ESPN Magazine stuff this week on perception vs. reality in the NBA. Seems like the league has come a long way from The Palace brawl and the scary weekend in Vegas.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I liked Simmons' column on Page 2 yesterday, but it did get syrupy at times with its David Stern love.

Draft saved Draft deleted